• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp Question

Started by Smokin Elvis, April 07, 2012, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I have the 6 rack digital and added an extra element to help with temp recovery. When I do butts I just plan on 14-20 hours depends on the butt. Stall periods may be a couple of hours butt  that is ok. It does what it is supposed to do and when I hit an IT of 195 I FTC for a couple of hours. They come out great. Patience is the key.

Smokin Elvis

So I usually plan on an hour of smoker time per lb with brisket....I am thinking I should double that for butts, right?  I still only use 4 hours of smoke for both.

Where do you buy the extra element and how hard is it to install?

watchdog56

Usually after 4 hours of smoke the meat does not take on much more smoke flavor so that is the max I do.
I bought my extra element I got from Yard and Pool(http://www.yardandpool.com/dealoftheday.asp)
Putting it in is fairly easy especially if you know anything about electronics which I don't ;D
Here is a great link for adding an extra element;
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification

Don't be afraid to ask questions on this, there is plenty of people here who can help.

tdwester

The first few I did I ended up calling Pizza hut :-\ wife complaining that it was taking to long , Cooking to temp can be a little difficult to predict.

TedEbear

Quote from: Smokin Elvis on April 08, 2012, 04:12:18 AM
Yes I am using a Maverick.  Finally gave up after 12 hours, put in foil and fridge...will start again today.  I think next time starting the night before is the way to go.  Do all of you recommend putting in the extra heating element in the original Bradley?  And a fan?  Sounds like I'm customizing a car....need to drive these butts a little faster.....   :P

I think most people would say not to stop cooking it midway through the process, especially when it is in the stall stage.  Hope it turns out OK for you.

I smoked a 10 lb butt Friday.  I put it in my OBS at 4:30 before I left for work.  When I got back home 12 hours later it was 192*F and within 3 degrees of being done.  Perfect timing, although I'd expected it to take closer to 15 hours.  I did the FTC for a few hours, pulled it and put it in the fridge and reheated the next day for the big meal Saturday afternoon.

I added a second element in my OBS but not a fan yet, although I have one and it's just a matter of doing the work.  If you add a second element you should also add a PID controller.  The original temp control isn't designed to handle 1000W.  You can buy an Auber internal PID controller for around $45 plus the things to make it all work (thermocouple, SSR, heatsink) for a total of around $70-$80.  Then there's the plug-n-play versions for $140-$190.

Smokin Elvis

Stopping it certainly wasn't my original plan but to let it cook through the night would have likely meant jerky butt cuz I damn sure wasn't gonna get up all night to check it and doubt even I could sell the wife on doing that.  ::)   I have a feeling it will probably be drier than it would have been if I could have cooked it straight through (as the outer meat is having to re-heat twice) but have been collecting drippings in a foiled rack below it and they will likely do a good job moistening it up in the crockpot after FTC.  A learning experience for sure.  I will start it day before next time. 

As to installing an extra element and PID and fan....whew.....you guys are definitely hard core. ;D  That means I gotta clean up the inside of the smoker (yeck) then try to play electrician.....I'm just a Texas boy wanting BBQ, not to build a new smoker...but sounds like that's what I need to do...where can you buy the plug and play version cuz that is definitely safer than me wiring something.

TedEbear

Quote from: Smokin Elvis on April 08, 2012, 08:06:05 AMwhere can you buy the plug and play version cuz that is definitely safer than me wiring something.

Auber Instruments:

Single Probe PID Controller

Dual Probe PID Controller

Smokin Elvis

Thanks for the links but I am not sure I need the PID unless I am smoking fish....I have read on this forum on multiple posts that the temp fluctuations of the standard Bradley are fine when smoking ribs, pork and brisket and thats mainly what I do.  The second heating unit may be useful though as mine seems to be weak...but I have now noticed much higher temps since I opened up the vent completely and it may be OK for my applications.  I am using a Maverick dual probe thermometer and plan on pulling the butt at IT of 195.  Thanks again.

rajzer

You probably had enough smoke, why not just finish in the oven?

Smokin Elvis

Only used 4 hours of smoke.......way back there yesterday...when I was a young man.......smoker temp at 255 and just hit 178 IT so I think we are now through the stall!!!  Will FTC for 2 hours after we hit 195 then feed my starving family..... :o

ghost9mm

I think just about everyone here has been through the 160 + stall, and that is when the magic is happening...I've never added the extra element and have done up to four and five butts at one time...the name of low and slow is how I do it, sometimes it takes less time then others, but I have had butts go as long as 22 hours...we are talking about cooking at 200 + degrees not 350 or 400...Patience is a great vertue when cooking with the Bradley...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill