Not Enough Smoke??

Started by NikonShooter, April 07, 2012, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikonShooter

Hi I'm new to the Bradley & forum but have been smoking with a 2 stage barrel type for a few years now.
I really like the convieience of the Bradley system.  With my barrel type I was always needing to be carefull not to over-power the flavour with too much smoke.  With the Bradley I can't seem to get enough smoke flavour.  Just finished a 4 hour Hickory smoke on 3 racks of ribs & although the smoke flavour is there it isn't nearly as strong as it would have been with 2-3 hours of wood chips in a 2 stage.
Anyone experienced the same thing?
Thanks
James

muebe

The reason I like the Bradley and my Traeger is because I get a smoke flavor that is not overpowering. So in this case it might be you are used to a very powerful smoke flavor from your barrel smoker.

With that being said your Bradley is not going to bellow out smoke in high volume. The proper smoke will be a thin blue smoke.

How do the spent pucks look? Are you getting a complete burn on them?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

It's a lot cleaner smoke coming off the bisquettes. Every 20 minutes you have a fresh puck. Not like stick burners and others where everything is sitting there burning and burning till theres nothing left.  Just my opinion. :). Hopefully others will chime in.
I agree is not as an intense smoke flavor as other methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rajzer

Well I think it's a matter of taste and what you like. I like rum and not scotch.  For me I find that I get enough smoke flavour in most items from the Bradley.  In fact when doing sausage I have learned to cut back on the amount of smoke time, otherwise a bit of bitter favour set in.  You also have to experiment with the different woods and your damper openings.  I guess the best thing about the Bradley is the consistency and temp. control that is not available in other smokers.

Habanero Smoker

Hi NikonShooter;

Welcome to the forum.

I smoke/cooked many years with a vertical water smoker, before using the Bradley Smoker. I get plenty of smoke flavor with the Bradley, but as was already stated every one's taste is different. It is a "cleaner" smoke, and what I did notice between the two, was that I missed the charcoal flavor. I've also learned over the years even with charcoal, the equipment you are using also makes a big difference on how the final product will taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NikonShooter

Thank you for the replys.
Wondering if any of you have tried not putting water in the "puck pot" to allow for a longer burn time of the pucks. I'm thinking this would mimic the 2 stage smoker more.
James

devo

Not recommended as grease can drop down and catch on fire  :o :o :o

mikecorn.1

IMHO the smoldering pucks would probably give you a funky smoke taste. Or worse

:o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

NikonShooter

Ver subtle... I think I get the point!
Thanks guys.
James