Smokin Cheese

Started by BrandNewSmoker, April 13, 2012, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandNewSmoker

Hello All,
        your regular PITA (pain in The a**) has another question, i know i know your all shocked...lol 
                  Actually this one is like all the rest , i think itis more of an opinion type answer. i am going to try to do some cheese tomorrow not a lot but enough to test it, would it be better to use hickory,alder,or the special blend is first one. #2 i was thinking about an hour and a half to 2 of smoke? #3 I  have a digital smoker and was thinking all i need is to turn that on verses the box heater, will that be enough or should i do the ice and set the box element to its lowest setting?
any ideas are appreciated.
  oh and when i figure how to get my camera hooked to my ancient computer without crashing it i will try pics.
BTW

LETS GO PENS

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

devo

You have a pretty good plan going there, the answer to which wood to use is as you figured opinion type answer. I use hickory for almost everything. No more than two hours of smoke....trust me on this one. Depending on how hot it is outside you will need some ice to help cool the smoker as the SG hot plate can get your temp up over 125*F which will melt cheese.

BrandNewSmoker

ya i meant to put that temp. around here are a little warmer then usual probally anywhere between 35 and 65 so i imagine That could cause havoc.
hmmmmm, i just realized i haven't tried my vac. sealer in a few months, i hope she still works, that's almost as old as my computer.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Stickbowcrafter

I find hickory a little strong for cheese but smoke flavor is always an individual preference. Let your cheese come to room temp before putting in the smoker. Also, cold smoke boxes are simple and cheap and are invaluable in your smoking arsenal. Here's one I built years ago:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5264.0

-Brian

czartman

I usually use Apple on cheese. I find that Hickory can get a little overpowering.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2