Fromage blank

Started by amigo smoker, April 16, 2012, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

Well was going to smoke some chickens in th pro q tomorrow but the wind and rain is terrible
so me and my lad have decided were going to make some cheese (he's only 4 and of school for a couple days as they got flooded) and im of work for a month as i had a hernia operation recently plus busted my Achilles tendon

Im thinking of making some fromage blanc doing a few batches, maybe chives , chilli and honey then get some crackers for our lunch wednesday

Never made any cheese before but i do know we get through alot so it has to be worth making some, main thing is i get to spend some quality time with my little dude and he is excited

Anyway i will of course take pics and let you know how it goes

mat

mikecorn.1

Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Sounds like a bunch of fun!!! Take lots of pictures :)

SiFumar

Sounds like a memory making moment.....and lots of fun!

amigo smoker

Well dont know what we done wrong but it just wont goto curds and whey

we heated the organic whole milk to 175 then added the butter milk plus 1.5tbsp of lemon juice its now been sat there for 20 mins but still looks like milk, but with a very few small lumps in it

i must admit to making our own buttermilk as i cant find any in the shop, so maybe thats where i went wrong..... 1 cup whole milk + 1 tbsp of lemon juice and let sit for 5-10 mins, thats the instruction i got of the net, do they seem right?

amigo smoker

ive managed to find some buttermilk in a shop about 10 miles away, so im of to get some and hopefully it will work better

cathouse willy

Amigo two things I wonder about. the milk needs to be cooled to approx 130 f and then innoculated with a live culture, yogurt or buttermilk. Adding lemon juice to milk is a substitute for buttermilk but contains no live culture. In order to form curds most cheese makers use rennet to make curds. Here is a link to an excellent site on home cheese making. Hope this helps.
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_course/Cheese_course.htm