My red thai curry

Started by amigo smoker, April 15, 2012, 01:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

Well i mentioned in a post before that i enjoy cooking and make all different variety of curries,and i thought it was only fair that after taking a few recipe's from here i should give something back.

This is one of the first curries i tried and after a few tweeks here and there i came up with this, personally i love it as does the wife, so i hope if you guys like curry  and have a try you will like it to

Ingredients

1x15ml wok oil
1 spring onion finely chopped
Red thai curry paste to taste, i always use my own but the result is pretty good with a good quality shop one
400g of butternut and sweet potato cubes
250ml of cocnut milk
225ml chicken stock
3 teaspoons of fish sauce (nam pla)
200g of raw king prawns
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
1 teaspoon lime juice
225g mango cubes, you may want a little less but we love mango

Method

1 -   Heat the wok oil in a large pan,i find a wok is just the right size and gently fry spring onion for a minute then add curry paste

2-   Slowly  Whisk in the coconut milk chicken stock and fish sauce and then bring it to the boil

3-   Put i the butternut squash and sweet potato and mango and partially cover, and let simmer for around 15 mins or so or until the potato is tender

4-   Rinse the prawns under running tap water and then add them to the wokand let the sauce come back to the boil add the lime and cook for a further minute until prawns turn pink

5-    serve with rice and sprinkle with the coriander

I would say that makes enough for 3 maybe 4 average servings but myself and the wife usually have a plate full and i finish the rest of for supper

In the pot getting cooked

all served for to be eating

mikecorn.1

Thats what Im talking about. Nice pic. Look great.  :)
Mike

Mr Walleye

Looks excellent Amigo Smoker!  8)

I'll bookmark this for sure.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

That looks fantastic!   Now what is this ml and gram nonsense??    ;D ;D

amigo smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on April 15, 2012, 03:44:03 PM

That looks fantastic!   Now what is this ml and gram nonsense??    ;D ;D

Ah i forgot that most on here were from the states, what measurements do you guys use for weight and liquid and i will change it all for you

Ive seen a qt used alot which i gather is a quarter but a quarter of what i have no idea haha

mat

Keymaster

Looks and sounds Great, thanks for the recipe. I think QT might be Quart in liquid measurement.

rajzer

Looks great, and the ingredients are simple.  And it's gluten free so it can be certified in our house.  Will try it.  And metric is the way to go. 

Wildcat

Love Thai food and this looks great! Thanks
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

This does look good, and I will have to put it on my to make list. Mangoes are fairly cheap lately; going for around $1.00 -  $1.25 each.

Also here in the States we call fresh coriander cilantro. That I may either leave out or reduce a lot.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

amigo smoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 16, 2012, 01:45:03 AM
This does look good, and I will have to put it on my to make list. Mangoes are fairly cheap lately; going for around $1.00 -  $1.25 each.

Also here in the States we call fresh coriander cilantro. That I may either leave out or reduce a lot.  :)

yeah i love the coriander / cilantro, and everytime i make a curry i seem to add more and more  ::)

If you guys do make it,i would like to say if you make the curry except adding the prawns and leave it in the fridge over night, then just re-heat and add prawns it will taste even better

mat  p.s im havinng it for tea tonight as my mouth is watering  :)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 16, 2012, 01:45:03 AM

I am not much of a fan of cilantro either. Love mangoes though, but I suspect that in order to get the true flavors to come through you might need tree ripe mangoes which are hard to come by in the US unless you live in southern FL. Tree ripe have much more flavor and are generally naturally sweeter.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with you on the mangoes, but I've been having pretty good luck with recently purchased mangoes, and letting them continue to ripen. I purchased a couple a few weeks ago, had to let them ripen 3 - 4 more days in a paper bag, and made a mango salsa to top a planked grill salmon. I did add some cilantro to that salsa, but reduced the amount that the recipe called for.

I purchased two yesterday and waiting for them to get a little more ripe. Then I will make the recipe. At this time I'm not sure if I will completely replace the cilantro with Italian parsley, or just reduce the cilantro.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Some things just do not taste right without some cilantro. I like a little in salsa, but only a little. When I get around to this dish I plan to go with about 1/3 the amount of cilantro that is called for.

Habanero Smoker

I think that is what I will do, cut it down to 1/3. Over the past couple of years I have been trying to build up my tolerance for cilantro and cumin. Hopefully the mangoes are ripe enough for me to try this recipe today.

I
         don't
                   inhale.