Pork Steak

Started by thirtydaZe, April 17, 2012, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Got a couple last night at No Frills as i was making might nightly round.  I remember eating them when i was young, but it's been years now.

My understanding is to marinade them in teriyaki a few hours prior to grilling.

Question is, anyone have a solid internal temp on the steaks?  145* like chops?

My understanding is, the pork steak is a butt trimmed into steaks.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Habanero Smoker

In my area pork steaks are generally cut form the sirloin end of the ham, so the 145°F should work. If it is from the butt, I would cook them like I do spare ribs, the use a fork to test for tenderness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thirtydaZe

hmm, interesting.  if at 145* they seem tender, despite the location of the cut, 145* will be safe to eat?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

OldHickory

Quote from: thirtydaZe on April 17, 2012, 03:23:12 PM
hmm, interesting.  if at 145* they seem tender, despite the location of the cut, 145* will be safe to eat?

Should not be a problem, I do that temp all the time. When you do the rest before eating, it will rise to near 150*
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

hal4uk

"Pork steaks" are usually (at least in the midwest and south) sliced from the butt.
These days, you ain't gonna see much price difference if you just buy "assorted chops" which will have much less gristle and such.

Don't get me wrong --- I've had a LOT of "pork steaks", and they can be delicious...
But, they used to be dirt cheap, and they ain't anymore.
Anyhow, you can pretty much do anything with them that you would with a pork chop.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: thirtydaZe on April 17, 2012, 03:23:12 PM
Really short answer to your question about safe to eat?  Yes it is safe to eat.  Even the Feds proclaimed that temp on pork is good to go.

Ka Honu

Quote from: hal4uk on April 17, 2012, 07:33:51 PMAnyhow, you can pretty much do anything with them that you would with a pork chop.

... and they make much better tasso.

Habanero Smoker

If the steaks are cut from the ham, it doesn't have as much connective tissue, so 145°F should work fine. If it is cut from the shoulder then you need additional time and a higher internal temperature to break down some of the connective tissue. The 145°F if the new USDA standard for pork; I usually cook the leaner cuts of pork to 140 - 142°F.  A steak will not generally have any additional rise in temperature.

You should easily tell where the steaks were cut from. If it is a deep red color, it comes from the shoulder or picnic area. If it is a light pale red, it is from the ham or it could be part of the loin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thirtydaZe

All said and done they turned out very pretty looking, should have been photo worthy, but i skipped it.  as far as taste goes, not real impressed.  they were gristlely, the teriyaki gave the meat a nice sweet flavor, but hands down, not my favorite episode of grilling.

Prob. won't venture down the pork steak road again anytime, unless i see something that looks a little cleaner.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Ka Honu

As noted, it's a crosscut of butt or ham (butt here) and pretty versatile.  I'll grill them occasionally (for a change of pace or if I run out of chops) but usually use them to make (heavily spiced and smoked) tasso - a "must have" for many Cajun/Creole dishes.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: thirtydaZe on April 18, 2012, 09:46:30 AM
All said and done they turned out very pretty looking, should have been photo worthy, but i skipped it.  as far as taste goes, not real impressed.  they were gristlely, the teriyaki gave the meat a nice sweet flavor, but hands down, not my favorite episode of grilling.

Prob. won't venture down the pork steak road again anytime, unless i see something that looks a little cleaner.

Get in touch with Seemore they have a great marinade that they use on pork steaks. Comes out of the Bradley just like the best damn Ham steak you ever had. We made them at the first MWSO
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

Quote from: Ka Honu on April 17, 2012, 09:32:39 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on April 17, 2012, 07:33:51 PMAnyhow, you can pretty much do anything with them that you would with a pork chop.

... and they make much better tasso.
"pretty much" being the key phrase  :-[
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby