First butt

Started by The542, May 12, 2012, 06:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The542

And on this smoke I was introduced to the E1 error...

Did a wiggle test on the sensor cord and found a sweet spot on the smoke generator side. Cord is rigged to stay in that position for the time being, and have tight alarm points set in the Maverick.
(was afraid I was about to get a crash course on setting up the auber that's still in the box)

Anyway, 5.5 pounder, rubbed in Memphis Dust, going for four hours of pecan, temp set at 220 going up to 195* then FTC. Probably a lot of cigars and port while all of this is taking place...

BDS4 w/ cold smoke adapter
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

muebe

Looks like your off to a good start ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

That's gonna be a good one. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

The542

Getting there...stall hit at 153*.

Allowing me more time for this:

And this:
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

SiFumar

Looks like it's going good!  How is that port? Sweet?

The542

That port is a little drier and leaves a bit more pepper on the palate, still sweeter than any red wine.

Anyhow, this thing just got done at 5am! Here it is before FTC:

Will post another when I shred it.
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

Caribou

Looks awesome!!
Carolyn

OU812

Lookin gooood.

Did ya save that pan of drippins?

If ya defat them drippins it makes for some really good stock ya can add back to the pork when ya pull it.

dman4505

I'll take one of those Hoyo's and a sammie please.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

ghost9mm

Now I kiknda like that layed back approach for cookin a butt, really a nice job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

The542

Quote from: OU812 on May 13, 2012, 07:06:31 AM
Did ya save that pan of drippins?

Drippings were saved, and fat removed. Going to reintroduce them to the pulled pork along with an Eastern South Carolina mustard sauce. Was stationed down there for four years and really grew fond of the mustard/cider vinegar sauces.

Don, that particular Epi #2 burned like crap, still tasted real good. Had three years age on it in my obsessively maintained humidor. Come on over, I'll share!

Quote from: ghost9mm on May 13, 2012, 02:14:16 PM
Now I kiknda like that layed back approach for cookin a butt, really a nice job...

I had nothing else to do yesterday, you don't live too far, so you know it was beautiful out...I stayed on my deck all day. Super laid back. Only opened that door once to clean out the pucks, and put a new water bowl in, and add more apple juice to the little drip pan.
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

The542

I really wasn't prepared for this 5 lb butt to take 19.5 hours. It was pretty lean, so I guess it just comes down to density?
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

mikecorn.1

Quote from: The542 on May 13, 2012, 03:20:54 PM
I really wasn't prepared for this 5 lb butt to take 19.5 hours. It was pretty lean, so I guess it just comes down to density?
Man. That's a long azz time for a 5 lb. that was one tough Lil piggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

The542

I may have gone a tad overboard on the amount of sauce I whipped up, but my god it's good. You can distinctly taste the smoked meat, you get a treat when you get a piece of the bark. Sammies this week will be killer.

Crappy pic
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330