Building a Boeing 737-800 simulator

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Flyboyandre

Alright, pulled the roof section off in order to apply the second layer of hardboard. Hope to get this done tomorrow. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. The next step after that is to get multiple layers of filler on and sand it ready for paint.
As for the bottom I still have some finish work with window framing to do and prep for window installation. Both captain and first officer side have one coat of filler applied and it will soon be time to start the dreaded job of sanding.
Worked on the rounded corners of the aft side windows today. Ended up too rounded in the upper corner but it will have to do.

Flyboyandre

I have to give My wife credit for this one as she took on the challenge of silencing curious bypassers. She scavengered the gift shop at The Museum Of Flight today and came up with a sign that is now posted anove my garage door. Just wait and see.....Some jerk will steal it :)

Anyhow.......I have started the second layer sheeting on the top (center aft section on the second picture) and what I have done so far turned out really good. Very minimal sanding will go into prepping for the filler. If all goes well we are within a couple of weeks of paint.

NePaSmoKer

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Flyboyandre

Ok, so I did listen to my doctor for once. With recent health issues and the need to drop some weight, I carefully approached the 737 for some light duty this afternoon/evening.
The only remaining portion on the exterior was to finish the second layer of sheeting on the roof and prep sand before filler. This has now been accomplished.
The first layer of filler on the lower portion has been sanded and is ready for coat number two.
My hope is to have the body ready for paint by the end of the weekend. I have some minor trim work that needs to be completed, one of them being the channels for the window installation.

Oh and I mocked up the nose with some styrofoam sheeting containing a short and sweet descriptiom. Funny thing is........No questions today!!

KyNola

How many smokers can you fit in that thing?

Flyboyandre

TedEbear

Coming along nicely.  I work for the company that builds the complete flying version of these, among other things.

GusRobin

Tede bear - what part of boeing you work for?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TedEbear

Quote from: GusRobin on June 10, 2012, 08:54:08 AM
Tede bear - what part of boeing you work for?

I'm a part of their military defense headquarters, located in St. Louis.

GusRobin

I am in their Space Exploration unit in huntsville.  (sorry for hijacking the thread - now back to our regularly scheduled program)

squirtthecat

GusRobin

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 10, 2012, 03:56:17 PM

Next up in Andre's garage!

I can imagine the type of questions he'll get with that one!!!

Flyboyandre

A big milestone in the project has been reached. My indefinite counter app on my iPad shows 50 days, 11 hours and 38 minutes since the first cut was made with the jigsaw.
I guess I really haven't taken much time to reflect on the build so far as I went all in during every spare moment I had since the April 21st start. However, it hit me today....This is a BIG project!!! I don't think I have embarked on any single project this big during my 38 years of life. Actually, the N512AS project would probably outnumber everything I've done in the past.....combined!
That being said I felt very a great sense of accomplishment when I closed the garage door this evening.
I would like to thank everyone who have stepped up with advice, given me a hand, listened to my bitching and most important of all....to my wife for allowing me to build my dream...