• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

MTQ + Cure #1 = Cure #2 Replacement?

Started by staticGenerator, May 07, 2012, 07:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staticGenerator

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 09, 2012, 01:21:24 PM
The difference in sodium by volume is 447mg (TQ) / 590mg (Table salt) = .75 (75%)
Or by volume TQ has 3/4 the amount of sodium as pure pickling salt.

I see why we are getting different numbers for the amount of sodium in TQ versus table salt.  You are comparing the amount of sodium by volume (1/4tsp) whereas my calculations are based on weight.  TQ weighs 4.66g per teaspoon while table salt weight 6g per teaspoon (according to this website): http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/216/2

4.66/6.0 = .77 or 77% so when compared by weight the sodium levels are almost an identical match.
Tell me it can't be done - I'll find a way to do it

Habanero Smoker

Because TQ consists of 5 ingredients, some of different densities, I chose volume over weight. Though some sources give the weight of white sugar and table salt as the same, I find they are not equal in weight by volume. As you have mentioned; when you compare the weight of TQ to table salt; TQ weighs 1.17g, and table salt weight 1.5g per 1/4 teaspoon. When the recipe site gets back up, look at the Basic Cure recipe, that is a substitute for TQ, and that formula has about 70% salt.

For sodium levels it depends on which website you use for the amount of sodium in salt. I have seen it vary from 560mg - 590mg per 1/4 teaspoon. So I decided to stick with the labels as the source for sodium, which would include the sodium from the nitrate and nitrites in TQ.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

staticGenerator

Hello All,

Thanks for your input on and participating in my thought/math experiment! 

Obviously there ain't no cure for not having cure #2!  I suppose in a situation where you absolutely could not get access to cure #2, TQ + Cure #1 would be an emergency method of getting a usable amount of Sodium Nitrate into your dry-cure.

Look forward to learning about all of your success in preparing, curing and smoking!
Tell me it can't be done - I'll find a way to do it