Salami Milano Style

Started by devo, May 10, 2012, 09:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

I'm pumped and I'm stressed at the same time. I kicked off this dry curing adventure with this recipe

Salami Milano Style

I used Beef Middles for the casings, tough suckers thats for sure, no blow outs with these things  ;D
Day one, in the Dry Cure Cabinet @ 12 PM.
Incubate @ 85°F and 90% R/H for 24 hours.
Seems easy enough  ??? ??? We will see  :-\
The small one with the string weighed in at 463 grams. Needs to loose 30% of its weight

And here is what they are suppose to look like when they are done.

Keymaster

Cool, now its wait time. I clicked on the link and it automatically all by itself downloaded the recipe to my kindle app on my cell phone, that was weird.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto

I like them beef middles, nice and thick.

Like Aaron said...now the wait.

Nice job.

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Mr Walleye

Great job Devo.

You'll have to give use a good taste report on that recipe. I was also eyeing that one if I ever get my cabinet underway.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

devo

Starting to get some action on these. Took three days but the white mold is starting, that,s a good thing by the way. Thanks Aaron for telling me to just relax and let it do its thing.  ;)
Hopefully this will just keep getting better.

Keymaster

You must be doin something right to get the mold growing right on time, Looks just right!!!

NePaSmoKer

Looks most excellent. Gotta like that mold 600.....EH

devo

QuoteYou must be doin something right to get the mold growing right on time, Looks just right!!!

Dam Aaron I'm almost at the point of telling my boss I gotta go home to check on things :)...... the good part is he knows what I can produce and has eaten many a good meal so he tells me if you need to go than just5 go. :)

ratherbboating

Are you using a freezer for the dry curing?  I am thinking about getting into the dry curing and interested in what other people have done.
Thanks
Eleridge
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

pikeman_95

Looks great Don. I have a large old upright freezer I could do some of this with.

NePaSmoKer

Don

While my fridge is down for maintenance i have found these minor issues.

Even with using distilled water in your humidifier it can still get a slimy build up and slight mold growth on the outside. I wiped mine down with vinegar.

devo

Thanks Rick for the heads up, I will keep an eye on that.

QuoteAre you using a freezer for the dry curing?  I am thinking about getting into the dry curing and interested in what other people have done.
Thanks
Eleridge
Yes. You can use a fridge or pop cooler also. The price was right on the freezer....FREE  ;)

Kirby hope you get better soon bud and look forward to seeing if you get into this. Its sure is fun watching and waiting  ;D ;D

devo

Day Four
Gave the little guy another spray of Bactoferm Mold-600 (Penicillium nalgiovense). Seems slower than the others to get the mold happening.

Mr Walleye

Lookin' great Don!

I am sssoooo jealous... Still haven't had time to look for a cabinet yet.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes