my first and 2nd try at jerky

Started by Shiner, May 22, 2012, 08:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiner

I bought some jerky seasoning and cure from butchers and packers in Edmonton. I was not sure how to use it because there were not instructions with it so I phoned them and they told me to make a slurry out of it and marinate the meat for 24 hours. I did that and I followed the instructions I found on this site on how to smoke and dry it. The jerky tasted good but I think the time in the smoker was much to long as it was very dry, total time was about 6 hours at a temp of about 140. I then bought a bag of seasoning and cure made by Bradley. with this one I was supposed to sprinkle the seasoning and cure on the meat, then mix it up really well in a bowl to make sure everything got coated with the seasoning, then in the fridge for 24 hours, and them smoke for 2 hours at 200 degrees. That was excellent jerky it was all gone the same evening have to get busy and make some more.

Shiner

I forgot to add my questions I am curious as to why almost every post I read about making jerky a marinade is made out of the seasoning and cure and yet the Bradley seasoning I used I was just supposed to sprinkle it on and then mix it really good and then pack it together good and let it cure for 24 hrs in the fridge. No marinade

Consooger

I have made jerky about 15 + times and by no meand do I find myself a pro but 12 out of the 15 times have been a great success (only issues were over drying on one batch, too much cayenne  on another, and the INFAMOUS batch of GB jerky that I still don't know what happened)

Basically the way I run my batch is I marinade with my own mixture and ad 1 tsp of pink salt(cure) and let sit for 24 hours. I will pull and keep at an ambient temp for about 60-90 mins in the bag or container it was in and then I will fire up my smoker. I will normally run 6 racks (5 lbs) in my DBS at a time and first I will do a "dry session" at 140 degrees for an hour, then I will hit with smoke for 2 hours to 2 hours 20 mins at 160-165 degrees. Now I have read many success stories on cooking for another 4 hours after that at 165 for 4 more hours (while rotating the racks top to bottom front to back every hour) but it has worked where I never burn my jerky or dry it by pulling it out around the 3 hour mark OR AT LEAST checking in on it and pulling out the pieces that look cooked. Also you can flip some pieces if they are thicker as well. I make some jerky for my dad which he likes thicker pieces where I flip and let go the whole 4 hours as well but you need to be checking around the 3 hour mark of the last round to see where you stand. The thickness at that point is key because if it is thin at that temp and how long you have it set you're basically cooking it and it will be dry and brittle.

Best of luck!

- Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife