Smoker ordered

Started by MRH, February 24, 2006, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

[:D] I am new here and just ordered the basic smoker the other day from Cabelas.  I can't wait to get it ,and to start using it.  Any advise from you experts on what to try or do once it shows up?  I have some deer meat ground up and a jerky shooter might try that first.

Thanks,
Mark

icerat4

Welcome here.I did the easy chicken deal and then some ribs.You will find a ton of help here just ask and all the old timers here will help ya out .Just a heads up on future purchases see chez bubbas sight .He is the man to see just check around here and you will see his service is next to none.Good luck and always remember low and slow.Happy smoking

Oldman

MRH

First greetings. Next good choice on the smoker. Also, we have a recipe site of time tested and proven recipes. Plus a lot more information that members have created.

You are more than welcome to our recipes. <b><font color="blue">Members Recipe Site</font id="blue"></b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

MRH welcome to the forum [:)]

owrstrich

mrh... the very first thing i would do is this...

here is the link...

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3018

pig butt is very easy too...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Muskwa

Welcome MRH!

I would be making some sausage with that ground deer. Practicing with a few other recipes first to get your temps etc down might be a good idea. My way of thinking is pork, chicken and beef are easy to pick up, but deer is only available when I go out and git em myself in the fall. Good luck and happy smoking with whatever you try!

Muskwa

jaeger

Welcome MRH!!!
One thing you may want to consider now that you will be using one of the finest smokers on the market. Most of us use a remote meat thermometer of some sort. There are many different kinds, one of the most popular is the Maverick ET73. This model has two probes so you can use one to monitor the internal temperature of the meat and the other to monitor the cabinet temperature.
I don't know what you will smoke first but, deer jerky will be right at the top of your list I'm sure. Here is a picture of my last batch of ground deer jerky. I ran the lengths sideways on purpose so that when I started to rotate things around, the lengths are perpendicular with the heating element for a more uniform heat distribution.
Another thing, the first thing I did with my jerky cannon was to flatten the largest horn in my bench vise because I like to have flat strips for jerky. I now use my 5# meat stuffer to make the stirps. I made an attachment that fits on the medium horn. You will find the stuffer a lot easier to use, but for now go for the cannon.
Any questions, fire away and also join the chat on Tuesday night. Here-http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2532

Here's the picture.

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

JJC

Welcome Mark!  Lots of good advice so far--can't really add much, but do make sure you peruse the Members Recipe Site and check out the stuff for "New Bradley Owners" that Barry Solomon put together.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA