First time poster on salt

Started by archimedes1967, May 13, 2012, 03:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes1967

I am a long time lurker and just today registered for posting. I note that a lot of dry rub and brine recipes posted here call for pickling salt. Please do not buy pickling salt as it merely is salt that's been fine ground. What I do instead is use the salt I normally use (kosher, as I like the crust it gives in the Mallaird reaction with meats) and use either my food processor or spice mill. Not sure about your local grocer, but mine charges a premium for pickling salt that takes about 10nseconds to make.

mikecorn.1

Though I don't use it. It is good to learn something new. Thanks for the info :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Did you notice that many of the recipes that call for pickling salt also says you can sub kosher salt?  The key component is that neither of those salts contain iodide.  I use both kosher salt and pickling salt, depending on what I'm doing.

Welcome to the forum.  Glad you came out of the shadows to join the fun.

Habanero Smoker

Hi archimedes1967;

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the tip.

Since I had purchase a 25 lb container of Purified Salt (which is actually also called Pickling salt), I haven't purchase any in a long time. The last time I checked in my area, pickling salt is generally the same price as kosher or table salt, per weight. So for me, having both is more convenient.

Both pickling and kosher salts are purified salts, so if pickling salt is not convenient, then measuring kosher salt by weight and processing it would make a good pickling salt substitute. The reason most brines call for pickling salt, is because the smaller grains dissolve easier in cold water.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I was looking at pickling salt just the other day. At the Fareway grocery store i go to it is $1.59 for a 5 pound bag. for me that is way cheaper than the hassle of grinding kosher salt down. However in a pinch its good to know it can be done.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoker John

good info, welcome to the boards
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712