Help

Started by Mikey, February 17, 2006, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Hey guys, well I have a question. The guys at work really love the salmon I bring in once in a while, and if they want me to smoke some for them I charge them by having them bring me equal amounts of fish for me to keep. Well a guy brought me what looks like sole. He had it given to him and even he didnt know what it was but I'm pretty sure thats what it is. I am going to brine and smoke it the same as my salmon..........anybody tried Sole before.........I'm a little nervous about the end product.

Oldman

I did not think Sole was oily enough.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

I've tried sole, flounder, and halibut and they all come out a little on the dry side. I did find that if you throw a cold smoke at it for about an hour then can it up with some oil in the jars it's not to bad. I bet there's SOMEONE on the forum from lets say hmmmm HOMER, ALASKA that probably has some good suggestions.[;)] Kummock are you out there? This fellow needs some expert help.

Mikey

Howdy, well I tried smoking what I now think were Basa fillets and I highly recommend that you dont do this. They turned out dry and rubbery, like you guys said just not enough fat in them to make a good smoke.

Oldman

I just E-mail Kummock concerning this thread.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Kummok

Huh? Whaaaat....is it morning already!??! Thanx for the bump, Olds....winter's draggin on and I needed the wake-up[:D][;)] Went out snowmobiling and ptarmigan hunting this weekend and still feeling it......

The advice given already is accurate to my own experience....all that "white" fish is too dry for me....even tuna. The one exception to my "white fish is cotton mouth dry" experience is cod. Tried some the other day and it was absolutely a very close second to King salmon. The texture was moist/flaky and the mild flavor let the killer flavor of the alder smoke come through. And believe it or not, the pre-smoked fish meat was "seconds" from a local bottom fisher! [:p]

Okay....now back to work....gotta go outside and grill. Had Reveo'd/grilled King salmon for dinner last night and the lefftovers for lunch, so now it's out to the cold deck again and grill some steaks to go with the huge red king crab legs just received from Dutch Harbor. It's a tough life here as a "Homeroid"![:D][;)][:D][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The one exception to my "white fish is cotton mouth dry" experience is cod. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The BS is brilliant for cold smoked cod together with similar fish such as pollack and haddock.

Me and my two boys have just had cold smoked pollack for supper... absolutely marvellous! (pollack in the UK may be a different specie to pollack on the other side of the pond?)

I would imagine fish such as sole would be best eaten unsmoked, as for bass I have no idea.

Manxman.
Manxman

BigSmoker

Man I need to move to Alaska.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Kummok

Be forewarned, Jeff....It's a tough life up here. Today I was "suffered" to spend the entire day out in the Caribou Hills on a snowmobile. The scenery was beautiful, the weather was mild...28-30°F, and the ptarmigan hunting was fruitful....bagged 10. Lots of wolf, coyote, moose, rabbit, mink tracks, but none got close enough to our noisy machines to see them.

Note to Manxman:
Opps! Forgot the pollack....LOTS of it around here, but I've never smoked any. It's kinda considered a trash fish locally....I should give it a try in the Bradley though, just don't tell my neighbor, who won't even allow them in his boat....we have to shake them off over the side when we fish with him. Not much of an argument with him though when we've got 8-12 nice big fat oily feeder Kings in the hold [;)][:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

Hi Kummock,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's kinda considered a trash fish locally....I should give it a try in the Bradley though, just don't tell my neighbor, who won't even allow them in his boat....we have to shake them off over the side when we fish with him.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I was under the impression that pollack this side of the pond was different to pollack on your side. Whilst appearing similar, Atlantic pollack over here is a golden brown fish with a curved lateral line whereas I understood Alaskan Pollack was a silver grey fish with a straight lateral line similar to our coalfish in the UK which are also considered a trash fish with regards to eating. Nicknamed "sh**ties" in some quarters the flesh is soggy and grey and just fit for feeding to the cats!

Having said that, quite a lot of the supermarket fish is labelled "alaskan pollack"!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/coalfish.html
www.first-nature.com/fishes/pollachius_pollachius.htm

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br /> huge red king crab legs just received from Dutch Harbor. It's a tough life here as a "Homeroid"![:D][;)][:D][:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

King Crab.... My favorite. I'll bet you get the best ones at a great price up there. We can get pretty good ones at Costco here in Redding for about $13 or $14 a pound. I don't think I could ever get tired of 'em. Do you serve King Crab legs at your B&B? I'll make my way north if so!

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">huge red king crab legs just received from Dutch Harbor.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just been a very interesting series of three programmes following the progress of several boats fishing out of Dutch Harbour for King Crab here on satellite television in the UK.

Definately not for the faint hearted!!

Manxman.
Manxman