• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Do I use the smoke biscuits during the whole smoking process?

Started by jrholland1, May 14, 2012, 07:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrholland1

I'm new to smoking and just got a bradley smoker. I am looking at trying the brisket recipe that calls for 16 to 24 hours of smoking and was curious if I keep the smoke biscuits in there the whole time or only for part of that time? Thanks for your help.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: jrholland1 on May 14, 2012, 07:48:56 PMI am looking at trying the brisket recipe that calls for 16 to 24 hours of smoking and was curious if I keep the smoke biscuits in there the whole time or only for part of that time? Thanks for your help.

After the first 3-4 hour additional smoke starts to lose its effectiveness, as the meat becomes more cooked and doesn't absorb additional smoke as easily.  Each puck provides 20 minutes of smoke so figure out how long you want to apply it and add the appropriate number into the chute.

Also, many owners have switched the little water bowl that comes with the Bradley for a larger 9x13 aluminum pan filled with hot water.  It fits nicely in the chamber and it holds more spent pucks without starting to stack up on each other.  You should still dump the spent pucks and replace with hot, fresh water after the smoking part of your cooking session is finished. Hot water lessens the temp recovery time when you open the door versus cold water.

destrouk

Good question I was wondering the same thing as I have smoked for up to 12 hours ..at what point does the smoke taste stop having an effect ..is there a guideline

Kahunas

Quote from: destrouk on May 17, 2012, 06:59:19 AM
Good question I was wondering the same thing as I have smoked for up to 12 hours ..at what point does the smoke taste stop having an effect ..is there a guideline
I've alway heard 4 hours is usually the max. I have also heard that after the meat hits 160 F it won't take no more. Don't know how true it is but that's what I've heard. Too much smoke makes the meat taste kinda bitter. We like it on the light side and only apply smoke for 2 hours on most cooks.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

KyNola

Quote from: Kahunas on May 17, 2012, 07:03:52 AM
I've alway heard 4 hours is usually the max. I have also heard that after the meat hits 160 F it won't take no more. Don't know how true it is but that's what I've heard. Too much smoke makes the meat taste kinda bitter. We like it on the light side and only apply smoke for 2 hours on most cooks.
I'm thinking the meat temp where it will no longer accept smoke is more like 140 although I could be mistaken.  Remember, the smoke that a Bradley produces is a much more purer concentrated smoke than what a pellet burner or stick burner will produce.  Consequently, you don't need to be smoking the entire time.  Will it hurt anything?  Probably not but it may just be a waste of pucks.  Now, having said that, if you want to smoke the entire time, have at it.  That's what makes it so much fun.  We all have our personal preferences.

destrouk

im going to do a test on this and post the results same wood and meat will be used ...then a taste test with 5 people ...if not this weekend then the next for sure

destrouk

on a side note people have never complained with smoke being pumped all the time 12hrs has been my max so far ..but would be great to save $$ on the pucks tho

TedEbear

Quote from: TedEbear on May 14, 2012, 08:46:51 PM

After the first 3-4 hour additional smoke starts to lose its effectiveness, as the meat becomes more cooked and doesn't absorb additional smoke as easily.

at what point does the smoke taste stop having an effect

KyNola

destrouk

;D ;D ;D  I only hear the wife when she shouts too LOL  ;)