Keeping BS outside

Started by RedneckRN, May 17, 2012, 08:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedneckRN

Hi Smoker Dudes and Dudettes
I have been storing my BS in my shed and its a major PIA to haul it out and assemble it for use. I have a cover and want to store it outside. Home Depot has a raised garden bed that is perfect size and and height for it. I know my BS buddies have some sound advice for me.... ;D
Gitter Done
RedneckRN

Kahunas

Hi RedneckRN,
I bought a used Suncast vertical tool shed for mine. I put a little wire shelf in it that is a bout 2.5 ft tall and fit perfect on the side dimensions. Set the smoker on it, cut a hole in the top and ran a 3" vent pipe with cap out of it so I can smoke in the rain if I want. I can keep all my pucks in plastic containers on the shelves under the smoker. I got lucky and got my used shed for $30. Love having it. Now it lives on the deck just outside the door.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

KyNola

Mine has been sitting outside on a covered screened in porch with a Bradley cover on it for 5 years with zero issues.

squirtthecat

Ditto on the Suncast vertical shed.   Mine lives in one.   I just prop the doors open when it is smoking.   When closed up tight, it keeps the rain/snow out just fine.

NePaSmoKer

Same here. Outside and in garage in NEPA and now in Georgia....0 issues

TedEbear

Quote from: RedneckRN on May 17, 2012, 08:26:08 AM

I have been storing my BS in my shed and its a major PIA to haul it out and assemble it for use.

Assemble it?  I keep my OBS in the basement.  Whenever I want to use it I just wrap my arms around it and carry it outside.  No assembly required other than plugging it into a wall outlet.

Kahunas

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 17, 2012, 08:55:58 AM

Ditto on the Suncast vertical shed.   Mine lives in one.   I just prop the doors open when it is smoking.   When closed up tight, it keeps the rain/snow out just fine.
I vented mine out so I can smoke with the doors closed. Works great.

NePaSmoKer

RedneckRN

My intention was to leave my BS outside and covered like my grill. I feel like the cover is substantial enough to protect it and if a really nast storm arrises I can store it back in the shed....
Gitter Done
RedneckRN

Kahunas

Quote from: RedneckRN on May 17, 2012, 01:06:46 PM
My intention was to leave my BS outside and covered like my grill. I feel like the cover is substantial enough to protect it and if a really nast storm arrises I can store it back in the shed....
That'll work just fine.

TomW

I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

Kahunas

Quote from: TomW on May 17, 2012, 01:51:29 PM
Here's mine: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26687.msg318767#msg318767

Tom
Very Nice !!!!
Mine is a bit smaller shed but the same principle. Mine is not as wide but fits the smoker with a couple inches on either side to spare.

RedneckRN

Awsome setup TomW. That is what I eventually want.
Gitter Done
RedneckRN

Smoker John

I've only had mine for less than 2 months but I leave out with just the cover on, no issues with that. It's been rained on & a bit of snow :o one morning when I first got it. Having a setup similar to Tom's is also what I am shooting for some day.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Habanero Smoker

I have the OBS, and been storing my smoker outdoors on my deck for almost eight years. I have gone through three covers, and never had any major issues with the smoker. The covers they are making today are a lot thicker, more durable, longer in length, and appear to have better UV protection than earlier ones. So you should be alright with just the cover.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)