LEM's "Franks Seasoning"

Started by Old Frenchie, May 10, 2012, 03:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Frenchie

I plan on making some Jumbo hot dogs this weekend using LEM's "Frank Seasoning". I will be using hog casings and smoking them.

Do you experienced folks have any tips of suggestions (such as add some dry milk, etc.)? Or, should I just follow the instructions on the package?

Thanks,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

bundy

I myself would ad dry milk, but thats me. I like the texture better. Let us know how they turn out.

Kevin A

Roger

When I make franks/dogs. I'll do a fine grind. First grind with a medium plate, Ingredients added & well-mixed. NFDM as a binder is what I have used with good results, but isnt really necessary. Meat should then be VERY well chilled. And then a second grind with a fine (3.0mm) plate. Stuff & smoke, then poach to finish.

Kevin

Old Frenchie

Thanks guys ...

I made up a small batch this weekend before seeing your postings. I added some NFDM and some Karo Syrup. Sounds like that was okay to do.

They turned out really good. Tastes great and texture wasn't dry. Sorry no money shots on the hot dogs.

I did take some pics this weekend though .... I also made a small batch of Mike's Kielbasa (which again came out great). This weekend was a test of using Hog casings for the first time.  I'll try to post the pics later.

Thanks again for the comments.
Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker

Old Frenchie

Okay ... now that I've had time to try some more of these dogs .....

Very good tasting... But, they came out a bit drier than I had hoped for  :( ... how much NFDM per pound should I be adding? Will this make them a bit more juicy and more tender (they also turned out a bit firm) ??

Also, the Hog casings came out a bit "chewy" ... I'm assuming this is because I cooked them all the way in the smoker rather than just smoking them then going to a hot water bath. Maybe I should use cellulose casings and go skinless ??  ???

Next time I will add more NFDM and I will do a hot water bath. Before I run out of the LEM's seasonings I will try NePaS's recipe along with OU812's recipe and if I can find it TenPoint5's recipe. I'd much rather use your proven  recipes mix than to buy LEM's mix.

Thanks again for any help,
Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker

SiFumar

viper125

I add a cup of dried milk to 5 lbs. of meat Also usually a cup of Ice cold water to 5 lbs of meat.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.