Pork Butt Party using Jans Rub

Started by kdunla, May 20, 2012, 05:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdunla

Hello all,

I have a big smoke coming up next weeked and am smoking 64 pounds of pork butts for some sandwiches this week.  I've got a couple of successfull runs under my belt using rubs that I already had and enjoyed them.  I've done molasses and mustard rubs with them.  This time, it's going to be Jans Rub on them and I am wondering if a molasses or mustard rub is recommended as a base before the rub?

I'm also going to be looking on here for a smoked bean recepie so if anyone has one handy and wants to share...that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

muebe

CYM will give you a nice pronounced bark. You will not taste any mustard ;)

I have never done the molasses butts. I have seen them and they always look fantastic.

I would say go with whatever one you like better. Jan's rub practically goes with anything.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Ditto. CYM is a good glue for the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Once I used molasses one time, I have never used mustard since.  The molasses sets a much more pronounced bark in my opinion.  You can trim the fat cap off of those butts and use molasses as the glue.   You will have a defined bark that you won't lose when you pull the pork.

BTW, did I mention my wife is Jan of Jan's Rub? ;)

kdunla

I just mixed up the batch of Jan's Rub to get ready for the rub down tomorrow night on the first batch. 

Hint.....Don't try this rub at 9:30 at night!  I tasted a pinch and for the last hour have been craving a chunk of smoked meat with this on it!  It was very good and I can see how it would be a great table spice.

I'm sure it will be great on the pork butts and can't wait. 

KyNola,  I've read a time or two that Jan is your wife and creator of this recepie.  Please tell her thank you for sharing and a thank you for sharing as well.  Without a site like this and great people helping and sharing, I would still just be making jerky!  Now I've been doing pulled pork, ribs, chicken, sausages, appetizers and snacks for lots of family and friends over the last couple of years.

Scotty Dog

I did 4 half butts with Jan's rub and used molasses on two and no glue on two.  I liked the molasses one better.  I smoked for 4 hours and cooked for 10 - 16 more.  At the last two hours I added 2 extra hours of smoke and it was not over smoked when I pulled them.