Whole Chicken, finish in Oven

Started by radamo, May 20, 2012, 05:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radamo

I have a 4.5 lb. chicken that I am going to smoke today.  My OBS gets up to about 225 and I was going to smoke for 2 hours.  I am then going to transfer to my oven and finish off for about an hour at 375 to get the chicken up to temp and to crisp up the skin. 

Does 2 hours at 225 and 1 hour (approx.) at 375 sound about right?  I am just trying to time the rest of my meal so I can plan.  Any experienced chicken smoker help is much appreciated.

RA

Kahunas

Probably a good guess. Just cook it to temperature and you should be fine. I have heard others go with 400 in the oven. I like to finish my chicken in TBE. The basket fits in the bradley so it goes straight from the smoker to the cooker without having to mess with it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

radamo

I don't have a TBE so it is the oven for me.  I am teetering between stand up or racked for the chicken.  My last one was stand up so I may rack this one to compare.
RA

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

radamo

Oven did work fine but temp got to 160 super fast.  I hit 160 in less than 30 minutes.  I think with a bird that small I may have to limit it to 1.5 hours of smoke.  Nice to get some oven time to crisp up the skin.
RA

KyNola

You could also leave your smoke time at 2 hours and set your house oven to 350.  More smoke time and a lower cook temp in your house oven. ;)

Consooger

Quote from: KyNola on May 22, 2012, 07:16:08 PM
You could also leave your smoke time at 2 hours and set your house oven to 350.  More smoke time and a lower cook temp in your house oven. ;)

I have done this before and worked GREAT!

- Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife