First Bacon

Started by Grouperman941, June 19, 2012, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I went to buy a pork loin to try to make Canadian bacon. Got it, no problem, but while I was there, I saw some pork bellies, and I figured that if I'm going to be mixing up a cure, I might as well try to make bacon out of those, too.

The problem is, the belly was cut into 3-4 inch pieces. The recipes I am seeing seem to assume a bigger piece.

Questions:

1 -- If I just use Basic Dry Cure, will that be an acceptable bacon (for the belly), or should I look to add other things?

2 -- To figure the amount of cure, should I weigh each piece of belly like the Canadian Bacon recipe or just use the total weight?

3 -- All I have left is oak and alder. Should I get other smoke for the bacons? I know you're supposed to use maple, but what else is good for bacon?

I am really looking forward to doing this. Thanks for any help.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Kahunas

Hi,
1. Should work fine
2. I would weigh the amount of cure for each piece and apply individually. Also wrap individually for curing
3. I like Apple for bacon
4. Have fun with it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

sjmcdowall

I like apple too -- but given your woods, alder should work pretty well ... It's a milder smoke (and hence great for seafood) .. Put some fun stuff into the cure too!  You can add / swap some maple sugar / syrup and crushed peppercorns, etc. to make a very interesting bacon indeed.

KyNola

Conversely I would go with your oak that you have on hand.  As was stated alder is a milder smoke while oak is a heavier smoke, much like hickory which is my "go to" wood for bacon.  Apple is a good one too but either hickory or in your case oak would be my choice.

mikecorn.1

Try to get some Maple. It goes well with bacon.  :)
Mike

Grouperman941

Rinsed, soaked, tasted. Now resting in the fridge.

No pics, because, quite frankly, these were not attractive pieces of meat.  :D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Grouperman941 on June 27, 2012, 08:22:28 PM

Have you not seen the pictures of all the guys that was "Deep in the Heart of Texas"?? There ain't a single one of US, that is attractive by any stretch of the imagination but we posted pictures!! Let's see that bacon. Bacon always looks good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Grouperman941 on June 27, 2012, 08:22:28 PM

I humbly disagree. UNICORNS are beautiful and majestic creatures ;D ;) I'm sure anything made from their meat will look and taste great :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Grouperman941

OK, you asked for it.

When I opened the package of bellies, it turned out they were not 3-4 inch pieces but 1.5-2 inch pieces. So I ended up mixing cure 8 times. It made slicing an adventure -- I have 16 'ends'. But it is delicious! I used the oak for the belly bacon and I have pecan going for the back bacon.

The bellies:

The loins (in the smoker right now) -- I made three small ones to experiment:

Bellies all cooked:

and Sliced:

SiFumar

Got some good color on that bacon! When you can't slice up small pieces just dice up...always good in something.  I've even been know to eat the fried pieces that were meant for something else.

sjmcdowall

Tenpoint5

See Bacon always looks good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kahunas

That's some great lookin bacon you got there.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Grouperman941

Quote from: SiFumar on June 28, 2012, 09:37:15 PM
Got some good color on that bacon! When you can't slice up small pieces just dice up...always good in something.

Thanks for the tip. Probably a better idea than gnawing on them like a dog, but that was all I could come up with at the time.  ;D

Grouperman941

The back bacon came out great.