Problems

Started by archimedes1967, June 02, 2012, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes1967

So last weekend I did eight 11" long spare ribs in my OBS (turned out great, owe a post with pix). Last night (midnight) pre-heated the smoker to 225F and started smoke. After an hour I put in two 6 lb pork shoulders (planned cook time of 10 hours). The plan was to add 5 lbs of salmon and more smoke for final 90 minutes.

I note that the 4 Hours of some on the pig did go through.

I woke up @ 0630 and found smoker temp @ 150...and no lights on.

I have changed the fuse but still no lights or heat. Thoughts?

archimedes1967

So, as luck would have it, after I posted I was cleaning the grill for burgers and veggies (god sons graduation party) and I started smelling smoke!

OBS is working again, which is strange in a good way.

GusRobin

I would still try to find the cause. when that has happened to me it usually is a result of one of a few things:
1) Are all the plugs in tightly?
2) Anything in your set up different? Different extension cord?
3) What other items are on the same circuit?

That's the extent of my experience.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

archimedes1967

Actually...looks like the heating element went out. As long as pucks are ging through I can maintain 150f no matter where the temp slider is positioned...so I can start the salmon on the smoker and finish on grill. Finishing pig in oven. Watching god sons mother having a panic attack...all is good :)

KyNola

Do you have any way to know how long your Bradley was at the 150 range before you discovered the problem and what the IT of the butts were?

archimedes1967

Kynola

No clue on when this happened, but IT was @ 125F @ 0700 and climbing nicely since  transferring to oven.