Butts in the Shower

Started by Ka Honu, June 05, 2012, 10:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

My neighbors are having a baby shower on Saturday for about 50 people and asked me to make pulled pork.  Not sure exactly why, but I said I would (probably because he bakes great bread that SWMBO likes and he begged).  Figured he needed about 12-15 pounds of product (they're serving other meats and also wanted some leftovers) and decided I needed a few pounds to replenish my supply so I went out and bought four butts totaling 39 pounds ($1.82/lb including tax).  I knew that much at once would take 6-8 weeks in the Bradley so decided to smoke outside and then move indoors to the oven and crockpots.

Sunday - injected with CT and whacked 'em with Jan's Rub. 

Back to the fridge to rest up for a couple of days and try to guess if the OBS will hold all that meat.

Today (Tuesday) - added some more rub and ran them in the OBS (it all fit - barely) for five hours of maple and (mostly) cherry (They were on the front of the bisquette shelf).

The two larger butts (about 11 pounds each) went into the 225o oven on a rack over a drip pan for an overnight stay while the other two (8-9 pounds each) bedded down in slow cookers on LO.

To be continued...

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

beefmann

mikecorn.1

Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Very nice

Its showering butts  :o

KyNola

Man, that is a load!

I like big butts and I cannot lie.   Aw c'mon guys, someone had to say it. ;D

mikecorn.1

I say IMHO, 99.9% of people put their butts in the shower ;D
KyNola-- Baby got BACK!!! ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

That's it I give up. The Turtle lives in the middle of a flippen Ocean and even he can buy Boston Butts cheaper than I can. Hell I live right smack dab in the middle of Hog country. Looked at them yesterday $2.48 a pound. This aint right at all
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Sorry, Chris.  Life is not always fair (but it's always life).

Kahunas

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 06, 2012, 09:09:17 AM
That's it I give up. The Turtle lives in the middle of a flippen Ocean and even he can buy Boston Butts cheaper than I can. Hell I live right smack dab in the middle of Hog country. Looked at them yesterday $2.48 a pound. This aint right at all
Holy crap where you buying you butts? I got mine at the local grocery store for only $1.58 just yesterday. I was actually pissed about that price, they were $1.48 the day before and I didn't pick them up then. I live just outside of Des Moines. They were $1.69 at Sam's last weekend too.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Kahunas on June 06, 2012, 10:40:02 AM
Holy crap where you buying you butts? I got mine at the local grocery store for only $1.58 just yesterday. I was actually pissed about that price, they were $1.48 the day before and I didn't pick them up then. I live just outside of Des Moines. They were $1.69 at Sam's last weekend too.

That was at Hy-Vee in Dubuque. They still sitting there if you want them
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dman4505

I hear ya Chris
Paid $2.59/lb for the one in my post at No-Frills over in Omaha on my way home from work last night.
Just ain't fair at all

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

OldHickory

Looks like the neighborhood will be getting some good eats, and yep, the Turtle got a great price too.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Kahunas

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 06, 2012, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: Kahunas on June 06, 2012, 10:40:02 AM

That was at Hy-Vee in Dubuque. They still sitting there if you want them
Oh no, you can have them at that price. I will stick with my store.

Habanero Smoker

That a lot of butt. You got a good price, but I'm still trying to figure out why you had to pay tax on fresh meat?  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)