9 days until first try

Started by Peborg, May 30, 2012, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Quote from: Peborg on June 01, 2012, 03:42:12 AM
How often will I need to add water and any suggestions on another liquid besides water?  This shoulD be the last question.

I have made 2 butts recently, the way I have done this (and this is just me) because you are cooking for a VERY long period of time and depending on the pig there can be a lot of fat/juices that drip off and can cause a fire I like to keep a small tin pan under my butt to catch all the drippings. When I smoke my butts I will normally fill my bottom bowl with 8 ounces of water and the remainder with apple juice. I will fill the bowl a little over half full. I will place the pan under the butt normally the next rack under it with a small pan and I will fill that 1/4 - 1/2 full of apple juice or cider (or you can use beer or what ever beverage you prefer) This will catch the drippings plus the moisture from the liquid it will also add some flavor to the butt. If you want after the butt is done you can use the drippings pan to add to the pork when pulled. I did this once and liked it better without but again this is all personal preference.

- John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

Quote from: Peborg on June 01, 2012, 03:42:12 AM
How often will I need to add water and any suggestions on another liquid besides water?  This shoulD be the last question.

Dump the water bowl with the spent pucks after the initial smoke and refill it with fresh, hot water, apple juice or beer.  I just always use water.  Maybe change the water every 10 hours or check to see that the bowl isn't dry.

Many people have replaced that small water bowl with a 9x13 aluminum pan that holds much more water and pucks.

mikecorn.1

Ditto on the 9x13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

i agree with the 9 by 13 pan and more fluids, any flavored drink is always a  plus... try apple juice once every 4 hours and go from there

KyNola

The guys have you covered on the water pan.  The key is don't let it go dry.  It is what will prevent you from having a grease fire.  Also, make sure the butt is not up against the back wall of the smoker.  Fat can run down the back wall and on to the heating element causing a fire.  The water pan can't prevent that particular scenario.

Also, don't worry about all the questions.  Ask as many as you need to.  We all asked the very same ones when we started.  We're here to help your smoking experiences be good ones so ask away!

Consooger

agreed with KyNola x 176798776576

and as stated above I forgot to mention to change the bowl out after your smoke is done and replace with fresh (any liquid you prefer)
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

beefmann

keep asking and get  the information, then enjoy

Peborg

Any reason to inject the butt with apple juice and any suggestion on a rub?

Consooger

I have injected mine with apple juice and fresh cider as well. Gives a sweet taste to it as well as keeps it moist. As for a rub you can always go with Jan's rub, but from what I hear the Salt Lick clone is very good as well. Haven't tried that one yet. My 2 butts so far I have used a store bought rub that was phenominal.

At the end of the day you can never go wrong with Jan's rub
               -My Wife

Peborg

The butts are rubbed, wrapped and I the fridge.  I am going to put them on around 3pm tomorrow and hopefully ready to eat by noon Saturday.  Low and slow.  I have also read people are cooking there butts hot and fast.  Has anyone ever done this?

Peborg

128 degrees at 8:00, cooking at 220 degrees.  Anyone have an idea on oh long it will take now?  I have until noon tomorrow.

GusRobin

I have had 2 8 lbers take about about 22-26 hours. You may want to pull one (or both) and finish in your oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Peborg

138, added water and took quick picture.

beefmann

looking gooooooooooddddddddddd