Need 8 butts for party

Started by Greenhead, June 13, 2012, 02:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhead

I am planning on making 8 butts for my daughters first b day.  We are expecting around 80 people possibly a few more.  I have the small 4 rack but my friend has the large bradley.  The party is on a Saturday but was planning on making them Thursday so be done sometime Friday.  My question is what do I do with them in the meantime between being done and serving?  Will I end up with dry pork?  Do I pull it after they r done?  How do I reheat?  Thanks guys!

Kahunas

The Fridge works great after they are done and pulled. Crock pots and slow cookers work great for re-heating. Save any juices from pulling and re-introduce them into the meat after you skim the fat.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Tenpoint5

80 people? I would suggest only doing 3-4 butts. You will have plenty of left overs. you can pull them and put the meat in a 18 quart roaster pan. Then when you reheat. Just pour a bottle of apple juice over the meat. The size you buy at the gas station. I would have an extra bottle available to add as needed to keep everything moist as the day goes on. Three Butts was plenty when I did them for my sisters wedding which had about 80 people attending. With plenty of left overs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Greenhead

I had read an earlier post where people stated 1lb raw per person?  I just had a 60th b day party for my dad where we had 35-40 people and I ran out of sausage.  I just wanna make sure we dont run out again.  We were going to have pork sandwiches, fried chicken and usual sides such as macaroni salad.  You think 3 8lbers is all I will need?

GusRobin

Depends if you have a lot of adults, young or old, how many people like the other stuff. If the pork is great will they all eat that? What ever you decide I would err on the side of excess. The stuff freezes well and makes great leftovers.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

Generally I plan pulled pork as follows:

If there are other meats, you want about 4 ounces of pulled pork per person or up to half a pound if it is the main entree or the crowd is carnivorous (mostly adult, male, etc.).  One pound of raw butt generally makes 8-10 ounces of pulled pork so you want a pound raw per person if you have the carnivorous crowd, half of that for more "refined" groups.

I provided the pulled pork for a baby shower last week (link here) - probably a similar group to your party (mostly couples, some small kids, etc.).  Other meats included chicken and hot dogs.  Forty attendees - 10 pounds of pulled pork was plenty.   Based on that, I'd make 20 pounds (35-40 pounds raw) or, as 10.5 says, 3-4 butts (9-10 pounds each).  You'll probably have some left over to freeze and enjoy later (Oh darn).

squirtthecat

I vote for 6.   Because once they start digging into your smoked pulled pork, they are gonna ignore all that other stuff.   ;D

Plan on having leftovers.   I'd get some cheapo Ziplock containers to send the extra pork home as 'gifts' for good friends, anyone that helped out with the party, neighbors that put up with your smoke antics, any police/fire department presence, etc.

viper125

Well we have 80 coming to my daughters out door reception(cook out) I'm doing 4 8lb butts and 4 - 8 lb hams,sliced. Along with all the other foods I think it will be plenty. I also figure 10 oz pre finished lb. so 8 lbs =80 oz. x 4 =320 / 4 oz. a sandwich = 80 sandwiches.I also figure some will have more then one and some will prefer ham! LOL or I hope so!LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

sjmcdowall

I'd do 6 butts -- why? Because we need to remember that (at least in my experience) EVERYONE will want to take some leftovers home .. leaving none for lil' ole me!  So I double up just to make sure everyone can have leftovers ... :)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on June 13, 2012, 04:56:32 PM
Well we have 80 coming to my daughters out door reception(cook out) I'm doing 4 8lb butts and 4 - 8 lb hams,sliced. Along with all the other foods I think it will be plenty. I also figure 10 oz pre finished lb. so 8 lbs =80 oz. x 4 =320 / 4 oz. a sandwich = 80 sandwiches.I also figure some will have more then one and some will prefer ham! LOL or I hope so!LOL
That's gonna be one heck of a thread with pics your gonna start! ;) ;D  :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 15, 2012, 07:05:43 AM
I'd do 6 butts -- why? Because we need to remember that (at least in my experience) EVERYONE will want to take some leftovers home .. leaving none for lil' ole me!  So I double up just to make sure everyone can have leftovers ... :)

Yes my family and hers like to clean us out too! So we learned to take some out and into a tupper wear container in the refrigerator when first done. LOL man got to defend himself! LOL

mikecorn1
"That's gonna be one heck of a thread with pics your gonna start!"

LOL you can count on it and soon!

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.