Making some Bologna tomorrow any one used Leggs mix

Started by Sailor, June 16, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

enough teasing..CUT IT ALREADY !!! inquiring minds or at least this mind wants to know more about the pellet smoker and how did you know that was 5 hours of smoke with that amount of pellets? Thanks .
Tim

Sam3

Great looking chub! I have the same mix and haven't tried it yet either. Looking forward to the sliced shots!

Sailor

I just got home from the field and could not wait any longer to see how the chub turned out.  Sliced off the end and sure nuff it smelled like Bologna.  The hole is from the temp prob that I had stuck in at the top.  I sliced off a piece and it did not peel very good but once I got the casing to peel away from the rind it peel good.  Now my official taste tester will only eat Boars Head Bologna.  She will not eat packaged Oscar Meyer at all.  I gave her a piece and she smells it and says it smells good.  Then tears off a iddy bitty piece.  Hummmmmmmmm she says and tears off another piece.  Before I could say don't do it, she had eaten it all and asked for another piece.  Bottom line is winner winner Bologna dinner.  She said it is every bit as good as Boars Head and maybe even better.  So, with the official taste testers observations I will be making more of this blend.  Tonight or tomorrow I will peel the casing off and then use the slicer and slice the chub up and vac seal portions.  She likes the slices thin and I like mine thicker so every one will be able to have them the way they like.  I you have purchased the blend and have just been waiting to do a load I would urge you to get off your duffs and make some.  It is some pretty good stuff.

$ Shot

When I slice it up I will post some more pics.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Sailor

Quote from: cobra6223 on June 18, 2012, 07:22:04 AM
enough teasing..CUT IT ALREADY !!! inquiring minds or at least this mind wants to know more about the pellet smoker and how did you know that was 5 hours of smoke with that amount of pellets? Thanks .
Tim
Hi Tim, well it was a trial and error thing.  I would measure the length of pellets that I put in and timed how long they burned.  I would use a sharpie to mark an hour smoke, 2 hr smoke etc.  Now my burner is kinda smoky that I can't see the marks but I have used it so much that I pretty much know how much to put in to get the hours that I want. 

OU812

squirtthecat

Kevin A

Good lookin' bologna! Fry some up now!  ;)

Re: Holes from probe. i've decided from now on on large chubs to insert any temp probe perpendicular (right-angle) to the chub. I was inserting it parallel ( :o) and thus, had a puncture for 5-6" in length, impacting many slices. The other way, you'll only 'mar' one of two slices, max.

Kevin

Sailor

Good Idea Kevin about where to put the probe.  I only stuck it in about an inch from the top.

Anyway I peeled the chub and it peeled beautifully. 

All peeled and ready for the slicer

All sliced up and they got vac sealed.  Neighbor stopped by and now I am missing a pound of bologna  :o
]

NePaSmoKer

SamuelG

SamuelG

SiFumar

Sam3

mikecorn.1

Mike

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OU812

I could go for a big ol hunk of bologna fried in bacon grease slapped on some bread smothered with spicy brown mustard and a bunch of onions right bout now.