• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bambi Black Smokey Stix

Started by Kevin A, June 17, 2012, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

Had a quiet Father's Day morn, so I figured I'd make myself productive & crank out some sausage. Saw Nepa's recipe (Thanks, Rick!) here for the Black smokey Sticks, I had all the ingredients so why not?  ;)  They wont' be a black as his, but that's okay.

Per the recipe, here's what I used:

I left out the MSG (Accent) due to sensitivity to it in our household. I added 2 tsp of hickory liquid smoke too.

In place of beef or pork, I used some very lean venison steaks.
There were ground through a 4.5mm plate:

For fat, I added a pound (20%) of some nice & smokey pork fat trimmings I had leftover from my cold-smoked bacon batch
(see Bacon thread here: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28647.0)
This was well-chilled & ground just like the venison.

All well-mixed by hand & ready to be stuffed:

I'm using some 20mm smoked collagen casings I had and proceeded to get stuffing. Tied up all the ends as they will hang n my smoker.

Using hickory & applewood pellet mix (leftover from my bacon project) and after drying the hanging stix in the smoker for an hour, I upped' the temp and added smoke.
About an hour of smoke so far....

Five hours later, 152° IT is reached, so I pulled the sticks.
Onto a rack by a large fan to cool...

These will sit overnight in the fridge to firm up a bit before I slice them into the 'proper' lengths.

More to come...

Kevin

SamuelG

SamuelG

Sam3

mikecorn.1

They look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

JZ

Nice job on those.  :)

Let us know how they taste.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

NePaSmoKer

Looks good.

Da red hoofin  :o

Sailor

Yes Sir!  You done good with them sticks.  They look really good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Kevin A

Got the sticks all sliced. they've firmed up nicely overnight & darkened slightly.

They taste very similar to smoked sweet italian sausage ( I love anise & fennel) but with a slight tang I attribute to the venison.
I'm not a big fan of venison, but in this form, it's not bad at all.

Getting crowded...

...and into the fridge they go. These will keep for several weeks, but I'm betting they'll be pretty much gone by the weekend.

Kevin

SamuelG

Just superb! The look great. :)
SamuelG

Stickbowcrafter

Wow! My mouth is watering.

-Brian

Consooger

these look like the long smoked black stix I have been wanting to make for some time that I posted about LONG ago. Do you happen to have the priginal post or recipe that Rick had?
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

pensrock