• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Some Stix... Practice

Started by SamuelG, June 20, 2012, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

Here goes my second try.

4 pounds of beef
1 pound of pork

7 teaspoons of salt
4 tablespoons of pepper
2 tablespoons of garlic
2 tablespoons of onion
2 tablespoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of encapsulated acid
1 teaspoon of cure
1/4 cup of soy sauce

The mix

The grind

Mixing

Stuffing

Not the best stuffing, but i was trying to just pinch the ends and not using string.

Tried for taste and was great.

Must have missed the Black Forest black Angus beef..

:) :) :)

SamuelG

mikecorn.1

Mike

SamuelG

Going to leave them @155 till tomorrow morning.

SamuelG

devo

Nice looking sticks. Might I suggest not using the large temp probe as I have found it gives to many false readings. If you have a THERMAPEN it works a lot better. I kinda know how long it should take the sticks to get to 152 degrees and start taking temps of the sticks about 1 hour before I think they are done. Some finish before the others but are all with in an hour of each other.

Sam3

Looks good Sam. How did they turn out? Anything you would have added/deleted from this recipe?

NePaSmoKer

Looks good SG

Sent from mobile smoke device. The stars at night :o

SamuelG

Quote from: devo on June 21, 2012, 02:19:16 AM
Nice looking sticks. Might I suggest not using the large temp probe as I have found it gives to many false readings. If you have a THERMAPEN it works a lot better. I kinda know how long it should take the sticks to get to 152 degrees and start taking temps of the sticks about 1 hour before I think they are done. Some finish before the others but are all with in an hour of each other.

Left them all night and there @ 147!!!
Wish I had a Thermapen, but all I have is a cheap version that is not too accurate.

I tried some and they are great.

Consistency is not the best or what I've seen from the masters. :). The meat was probably too lean and I used no binder.
SamuelG

SamuelG

Quote from: Sam3 on June 21, 2012, 03:11:36 AM
Looks good Sam. How did they turn out? Anything you would have added/deleted from this recipe?

For me flavor is right on, but the consistency needs some work.
SamuelG

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

SamuelG

So this is the final product:

They turned out very good. After they had cooled and sat for a bit, texture greatly  improved.  They are dry, but in a good way!  The collagen has a nice snap and the flavor a good balance with a tangy after taste.
SamuelG

SiFumar

They look great!  I like sticks to be on the drier side so would be perfect for me!

Sailor

Ain't nuffin wrong with them.  Yep an overnight in the fridge helps with texture for sure.  You done good!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SamuelG

Gracias!

8 hours in the smoker until 152 and twelve in the dehydrator @ 160.

:) :) :)
SamuelG

Smoker John

Those sticks look really good
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712