Water Basin and Smoke Generator

Started by off_center, February 19, 2006, 05:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

off_center

Quick Question.

I have had my smoker for about 6 months now and had good luck smoking pretty much everything.

One thing I noticed that causes some problems is the water basin.  It touches the bisquette pad on the smoke generator and heats the water in turn heating the whole unit. (Not good for cold smoking) the smoker gets to 100 degrees with just the water temp alone and this is when it is only 8 degrees outside with the vent wide open.  I tried putting ice in the water but it takes so much heat from the pad that the bisquettes fail to smoke all the way.  Many times only burning half the bisquette before it is dumped in the water.

Is it supposed to touch the pad?  I am afraid to go bending on things on the unit.

Thank you for your time.

owrstrich

off...

you are freaking me out... my water bowl was slightly below my puck burner... im guessing the smoke generator may be askew on it mounting studs...

anyway... this is what i use as a water basin...

i get the one that goes wall to wall and it fits about 1/4 inch below the puck burner... it holds lotts of water and will drown lotts of pucks...

as far as your basin... its gotta be something simple... something is askew somewhere...

let us know what you find...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

off_center

I am using the stainless steel bowl that came with the unit.  The rim of the bowl pushes up on the puck pad. (The puck pad does not touch the water itself)  I have reseated the generator may times.  Checked the lugs on the generator were it attaches to the smoker.  No mater how I fit it on the unit the puck pad gets pushed up about 3/16 of an inch. Then at that point the puck pad heats the stainless steal bowl through conduction.  I have just been worried about trying to bend the dispenser the 1/4 inch to clear the bowl so I thought I would ask.  At this point using a different bowl would be the best solution.

The main reason I was wondering is that this is happening with the bowl that came with the unit.  I have it put in like page 5 of the owners manual. With the rectangular tray under the bowl.  I even tried removing the rectangular tray the bowl still pushes up on the puck pad.

Thank you for your time

nodak

Call Bradley, maybe they will solve this.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Call Bradley, maybe they will solve this.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yepper pick up the phone: 1-800-665-4188.

If you can take a picture and post it that would also help. If you have no place to host it then E-mail it to me and I will host it for you... raye @ r minor . com (no spaces.)

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JerkyAddict

As I was carrying my smoker one day, I tripped on the cord and the generator fell of and the advance tray bent upwards. This now makes it clear the bowl by about 3/4". The pucks seem to push uphill ok. Wouldn't suggest dropping it on purpose, but you may be able to bend it just a little bit.

ChefBill

My was also touching the bowl too when I got it new but I sprung it up about 1/2" by hand an it works great now. It seems to have gotten sprung down a little bit either in shipping <i>or</i> Mfg.
The Bisquette tray is pretty forgiving in being sprung up a little with no adverse affects. "Thank Goodness".[^]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

rthorn

I'm a new SS Bradley user. Love it. Smoked some Gouda and chedder last nite as a trial. I cold smoke fish then can it with hot peppers. Yum
 Any way back to the topic. I bought it at Bass Pro Shops Friday. I was happy to find out that mine did not have this problem, but the display model did. Must be a defect. I'd call Bradley as previously stated. I'm sure they will treat you right.
 This smoker kicks *ss. I've owned Luhr Jensens and other models, this one is easy to use, especially when it comes to one that easy cold smokes and hot smokes. Looking forward to the forum. Thanks Bradley.

Smudge

I'd like to know what Bradley thinks the clearance should be. That puck burner is hot, and the further from the water the better, IMO.

------------------------
~Tomorrow I've decided to be more spontaneous~

owrstrich

greetings horn...

bass pro shop...

did you see their latest bumper sticker...

cash bass or gas...

im thinking they are confused...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

zhongyi

I had the same problem.  I sent an email to Bradley asking if I could safely bend the puck slide up 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Here is their response:

"Hi Steve,

Thank you for your email.
Your bisquette burner should be at a right angle, if it if touching your bowl it is not. You can gently bend it up like you mentioned and this should solve the problem. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call our toll free number located below.

Thank you and have a great day!

Barbara Vit
Bradley Technologies"