Bacon Curious,

Started by BrandNewSmoker, August 14, 2012, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandNewSmoker

Hello  Everyone,
                                     Thinking about buying some bellies this weekend, local butcher sells frozen so I'm guessing i don't have any skin/no skin choices. My questions ( many as they are),first off i am thinking of just a simple maple cure. My questions are,1) pink salt or not, I know there are a lot of opinions. 2) should i use any specific salt/sugar, (light brown or dark brown). and is Kosher salt the salt of choice? I also have a friend who gets fresh maple syrup so that will be in the rub,but, should i coat the belly before i smoke as well?  I also am thinking of maple smoke and maybe an apple puck or 2( about 3 hours or so). my last question is 150degrees the desired final temp,or is it cooler or hotter?
   as usual thanks for the plethora of knowledge
  Ed

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

FLBentRider

1) You need cure in there to keep it safe for smoking, and to get a proper cure. Having the correct ratio of cure to meat is important. Are you following a specific recipe?

2) Use any salt as long as it is NOT iodized. This will give your bacon a metallic taste. I like to use pickling salt, since the grain size is similar to the cure. The sugar is up to you.

3) I would coat the belly before smoking as well.

4) I take pork bellies to 150F. I use Hickory.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 14, 2012, 04:45:07 PM
1) You need cure in there to keep it safe for smoking, and to get a proper cure. Having the correct ratio of cure to meat is important. Are you following a specific recipe?

2) Use any salt as long as it is NOT iodized. This will give your bacon a metallic taste. I like to use pickling salt, since the grain size is similar to the cure. The sugar is up to you.

I agree with everything above with the exception of wood choice.  My preference is Maple.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

BrandNewSmoker

OK after these next questions you will know i am very new to this.
  isn't the pink salt the cure? or do I Need to add something else? recipe...no not yet,i figure i will pick through all the info on here and kinda make one up. All i was thinking is keep it kinda simple on the first go around.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

FLBentRider

Quote from: BrandNewSmoker on August 14, 2012, 05:57:58 PM

OK after these next questions you will know i am very new to this.
  isn't the pink salt the cure? or do I Need to add something else? recipe...no not yet,i figure i will pick through all the info on here and kinda make one up. All i was thinking is keep it kinda simple on the first go around.

Pink salt is used in such small quantities, that most use it in a mix.  I use 1 Tablespoon of this mix per pound of meat and then add any flavorings, such as brown sugar, maple syrup, etc.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?441-Basic-Dry-Cure-Morton-s-Tender-Quick-substitute&p=691#post691
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SiFumar

I agree with FLB.  I've gone to using the Basic Dry Cure for most of my bacon(belly and loin).  And I keep a batch in an air tight container all the time.  But for some things I also have "pink salt", Cure #1.  But I do like 10.5's Maple Cured Bacon here- http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon.  It also is a nice tutorial on making bacon.  Start with a basic recipe and go from there.

BrandNewSmoker

Quote from: SiFumar on August 14, 2012, 06:40:48 PM
I agree with FLB.  I've gone to using the Basic Dry Cure for most of my bacon(belly and loin).  And I keep a batch in an air tight container all the time.  But for some things I also have "pink salt", Cure #1.  But I do like 10.5's Maple Cured Bacon here- http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon.  It also is a nice tutorial on making bacon.  Start with a basic recipe and go from there.

So don't use the pink salt,or use it also with the cure?

SiFumar

PINK SALT IS THE CURE!!  The "Basic Dry Cure Mix" is a mix of Pink salt(cure #1), pickling salt and sugar.  When you use "pink salt" by itself (1tsp per 5lbs of meat)you always have to add sugar and pickling salt to it.  The "mix" has all those ingredients in it.  And that is 1Tbs per pound of meat.

I know it seems confusing, but go over to the recipe site and read up on it.  It really helps.

BrandNewSmoker

Quote from: SiFumar on August 14, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
PINK SALT IS THE CURE!!  The "Basic Dry Cure Mix" is a mix of Pink salt(cure #1), pickling salt and sugar.  When you use "pink salt" by itself (1tsp per 5lbs of meat)you always have to add sugar and pickling salt to it.  The "mix" has all those ingredients in it.  And that is 1Tbs per pound of meat.

I know it seems confusing, but go over to the recipe site and read up on it.  It really helps.

ok i thought thats what it was,but,I think i misread  something in the middle
thanks

Habanero Smoker

Since this is your first time, I suggest you follow a specific recipe from a reputable site. Since you are planning to make a maple flavored bacon, the link to Maple Cured Bacon would be a good start. If you want a more savory bacon, then use the Basic Dry Cure Mix, as directed and add your own seasonings and herbs.

The 150°F temperature is what most use on this forum. At that temperature it is fully cooked, and you just need to cook until your desired crispness. You can take the bacon out at any temperature you like; some only cold smoke, and some only hot smoke until 139°F or lower; at these temperatures the bacon is raw and must be fully cooked prior to eating. For now you should follow a recipe, and experiment only after you gain more confidence and knowledge. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BrandNewSmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2012, 01:59:29 AM
Since this is your first time, I suggest you follow a specific recipe from a reputable site. Since you are planning to make a maple flavored bacon, the link to Maple Cured Bacon would be a good start. If you want a more savory bacon, then use the Basic Dry Cure Mix, as directed and add your own seasonings and herbs.

The 150°F temperature is what most use on this forum. At that temperature it is fully cooked, and you just need to cook until your desired crispness. You can take the bacon out at any temperature you like; some only cold smoke, and some only hot smoke until 139°F or lower; at these temperatures the bacon is raw and must be fully cooked prior to eating. For now you should follow a recipe, and experiment only after you gain more confidence and knowledge.

thanks, that sounds like a plan.
   if you don't mind me asking what is your preference cold or hot smoke?( by all means all chime in )

KyNola

Morton's TenderQuick and Cure#1, known as pink salt, are both curing agents but used in different quantities.  Thought you should know that.

Here is a link to the recipe I use.  Works for me. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6770.0

Your bacon will look like this!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BrandNewSmoker on August 15, 2012, 06:21:20 AM

if you don't mind me asking what is your preference cold or hot smoke?( by all means all chime in )

It depends. If I am making a sweet bacon, such as the Maple Cured bacon I will hot smoke until it is 150 - 152°F. With that type of bacon; containing a lot of sugars, bringing it up to that temperature, it crisps better without burning.

If I am making a more savory bacon I will cold smoke it for 2 hours while applying smoke, then hot smoke at 150°F, until I reach an internal temperature of 132 - 135°F (most will bring it up to 139 - 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BrandNewSmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2012, 01:08:10 PM
Quote from: BrandNewSmoker on August 15, 2012, 06:21:20 AM

It depends. If I am making a sweet bacon, such as the Maple Cured bacon I will hot smoke until it is 150 - 152°F. With that type of bacon; containing a lot of sugars, bringing it up to that temperature, it crisps better without burning.

If I am making a more savory bacon I will cold smoke it for 2 hours while applying smoke, then hot smoke at 150°F, until I reach an internal temperature of 132 - 135°F (most will bring it up to 139 - 140°F.
sorry been on nights or would have gotten back sooner.
thanks for the info.
hopefully i can get down for some bellies by monday to start it curing.