Looks like my door broke as well...

Started by JayC, June 25, 2012, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayC

A bit bummed at the moment.  My door hinge also has now cracked, and the door doesn't close anymore without a lot of help. 

I saw there's a Home Depot hinge fix out there, but can't for the life of me find the post.  I did call customer service today though, and I'm not too keen on spending 75+ on a new door when it's just the hinge that's broken, and from what I can see, I'll end up doing this repair multiple times.  Might as well put that towards a new smoker.  Which is a real shame, as I love this thing.

<sigh>...  Was going to take the smoker camping (we leave for a week plus in Maine on Thursday) and smoke all week at the campground, but I don't see that happening now.

mikecorn.1

Is this the thread your looking for
Broken door fix with Home Depot hinges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JayC

Thanks Mike, that's it.  I guess part of me was hoping for the manufacturer to chime in with a 'yes, there's an issue with the door' or a 'we'll send the hinge part to you for less than 25% of the total cost of the unit', but no such luck.   Not looking to get something for nothing, but for a 400$ purchase, and an issue as wide-spread as this seems, you'd think they'd do something here.  It now cost me 133$ a year for the 3 years I could smoke in it, which is WAY more than the smoker it replaced, which still sits under my deck dejected.  It's time they are swapped once again.

Habanero Smoker

If you are still under warrenty the door is covered.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well there are a few issues such as the door I thought should have been answered a long time ago. But don't seem to be a problem to them. Warranty is great for the short time its for. But plastic will not hold up on certain applications. We know it and they know it. But dont know of any company that want their products to last too long. If so sales would take a big plunge. Guess the metal hinges with a small metal plate is the best idea. I have been eyeballing the master built as it is solid metal. When mine breaks i'll add the smoke generator or the amazing smoker. Set up the pid and thermometer. And keep on smoking. I do love my Bradley but all the plastic has me thinking.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

waterkc

So it would seem I am not in the same boat, my hinge hasn't broke but the door has delaminated or something, its warped like a mofo. Time to look for something a little more sturdy. I agree with the amount of money to replace the door seems a little like, hey time to look for something that holds up. yesh! Sad really I have really enjoyed my Bradley.

Time to start looking at some of the other units available.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

TedEbear

Quote from: waterkc on November 24, 2014, 07:18:43 AM
Time to start looking at some of the other units available.

What did Bradley say when you called them today, as was recommended in the other thread?

viper125

Mine broke some time ago , and out of warranty. Bought the strip to fix it. But never quite made it. It hangs on one hinge partly and the magnetic seal works great. It is a shame that part is made so cheaply this happens. But if they last forever no one would buy another. LOL! Honestly one of the best ive had and ive had quite a few. None are perfect all got their flaws. Be nice if Bradly would change them. Or create a heavy metal one like the masterbuilt maybe. But all in all still the best smoker ive seen. And a fix is pretty easy. If you get the time. LOL!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Toker

I bought an old just for the parts. This way, i have a spare door  ;) Just check kijiji, eBay or Craig's list depending where you live. This is how i built myself a not so bad Bradley Smokers collection  :D

tskeeter

I remember seeing that someone repaired a broken door hinge by putting a piano hinge on the hinge side of the door.  (I think about $7 at my nearby Home Depot.)  That struck me as an effective repair.  Supports the door the full length of the door.  Many attachment points on both the door and the smoker cabinet.  (Or do even better and put some adhesive under the hinge before final installation.)  And a little black paint would probably make the repair almost unnoticeable.

seemore

I used JB  weld worked very good
Seemore