stumps smokers?

Started by sparky1, June 27, 2012, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

i was wondering if anyone has experience w/ stumps smokers.  i was reading about gravity feed smokers.  they are suppose to hold a temp of 250 for 12 hours.  lump.  how cool it that.  it is strictly a smoker not a grill at all.  any input would be great.
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

viper125

Sounds like it would make crispy chicken. But my self I prefer to smoke at 140-160degrees.  Any thing after that your just cooking. If i need that I move it to the oven. But different strokes for different folks. Also this is just my opinion as there are lots of different ways.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Up In Smoke

sparky1,
I own a stump's stretch model, i have had it keep 225 degrees in 25 degree weather.
as for burn time it all depends on ambient temp.
Last Sunday i preheated to 225, i put some butts in at 6:00 p.m. filled the charcoal chute with about 15 lbs of
rancher charcoal. i pulled the butts at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning and shut it down. after it cooled off i still had a  couple
pounds of charcoal left.

I keep mine in the garage and roll it out when i need it. It weighs around 575 lbs.
but you can move it with one hand. (level ground of course)

Viper nailed it also, it does some of the most juicy and crisp chickens i have ever done! They literally squirt juice when you take
them out.
Not to mention the fact that i can set it up, dial the temp in with the controller and go to bed.

Hal will be along shortly i am sure, he had one also.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

sparky1

do you use a bbq guru on yours to maintain temp?  i would like just to use the valve at the bottom to control heat.  it looks like a great smoker.
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

Up In Smoke

I have an Aubrins controller on it, i am saving my pennies for a stoker.
i will see if i can find a link to the one i am using and post a pic.
I have not taken the time to learn it with just the ball valve for control. (though i should)

One of the things i really like about it is the fact that it is so well insulated.
this greatly reduces someone accidentally getting up against it and getting burned.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS

Habanero Smoker

For controllers, I've got an early model DigiQ II, which did a good job, keeping my cooker +/-10°F. The BBQ-Guru has since change the algorithm they use, and the newer models are stated to control the heat better. I also have a Stoker Wi-Fi model, and that keeps the temperatures within +/-3°F. If you can afford it the Stoker is the way to go, and it can control multiple cookers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: viper125 on June 27, 2012, 11:21:40 AM
Sounds like it would make crispy chicken. But my self I prefer to smoke at 140-160degrees.  Any thing after that your just cooking. If i need that I move it to the oven. But different strokes for different folks.
My apologies Sparky for temporarily hijacking your thread but......Viper, do I understand you correctly that anything higher than 160 is no longer smoking but merely cooking?  Well I'll be damn, all this time I've been cooking everything. :o ::)

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS

viper125

Quote from: KyNola on June 27, 2012, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: viper125 on June 27, 2012, 11:21:40 AM
Sounds like it would make crispy chicken. But my self I prefer to smoke at 140-160degrees.  Any thing after that your just cooking. If i need that I move it to the oven. But different strokes for different folks.
My apologies Sparky for temporarily hijacking your thread but......Viper, do I understand you correctly that anything higher than 160 is no longer smoking but merely cooking?  Well I'll be damn, all this time I've been cooking everything. :o ::)

Sorry if i hurt your feelings KyNola. Smoke as you like. But yes to me if it isnt low and slow its not smoking. I will a lot of times smoke my meats then remove to the oven for the same reason. The process may be called smoking. But I dont hardly ever apply smoke over 4 hours and really dont feel the need. I dont expect every one to feel or agree with me. As its apparent you don't. But I really do what I do because its how i like. So call it what ever you wnt and you can apply smoke for a week like my grand pap did. Its all good! Least with me! Not sure with you.

Sorry for the interruption Sparky. I also didnt mean to hijack a thread. I just like others opinions also.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.