Thermometer question.

Started by Hedlyna, June 26, 2012, 04:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedlyna

I have a cheap Walmart wireless thermometer. I used it the other day and it said it was 109 degrees as soon as I turned it on( don't know if they read air temps) then when I put it in the turkey leg it jumped up to 195 then back to 125, after that it went up steadily.

I'm thinking about getting a new thermometer. Only can afford one right now( unless anyone knows where to get cheap ones)I was either gonna get the maverick et-732 or the green thermapen. I called thermoworks and they assured me that the green one is the fastest.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ka Honu

They must be trying to get rid of old junk - green is much slower (and uglier) than the best looking and fastest RED model.

SamuelG

Here we go....

:) :) :)

... With the colors!
SamuelG

Hedlyna

Any advice?

Wildcat

IMHO the Maverick works fine and has more applications.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Hedlyna

Thanks Wildcat

GusRobin

Yeah I would go with the maverick as you can remotely check both the meat and the cabinet. You can always buy a cheap meat thermometer to augment it. It is a better option then buying the slow green one.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

With the Maverick you can leave it in the meat and constantly monitor the internal temp the entire time it is cooking from over 100 ft away.  It has a great range. You can set a high temp food alarm to let you know when it has reached the desired internal temp.  You can set high/low chamber temp alarms to warn you of something like a grease fire or if your heating element goes out.

Both the Maverick and Thermapen are good units but they are for different applications.  The Thermapen is an instant read and you'll lose heat and smoke whenever you open the chamber door to check the temp.  More practical for grilling than smoking.  If you get one you can't go wrong with the lightning blue.   ;)

Ka Honu

What they said.

The remote unit is far more practical for smoking and slow cooking; the (RED) Thermapen excels (and the other colors aren't bad) for use in grilling steaks, chops, chicken, etc., where you want a quick and accurate reading in a rapidly changing environment.

muebe

Sounds like you were given the correct information when you called. No doubt the green is the fastest ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

If money is tight at this time, try changing the batteries. Low batteries can be a cause of faulty readings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Hands down maverick is the best choice and can be used for more things. The thermapen is relative to how anxious you are. I have a coupl and the only difference is speed. Which when I use them It is mostly done any way or close. And I'm in no hurry then. I can cook with out the thermapen but get worked up if i have to with out my maverick and my pid.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Hedlyna

Thanks for the advice guys, I ordered my maverick this morning from amazon.

Hedlyna

Wow, what a difference between the Bradley temp gauge and the actual temp. I'm glad you guys talked me into the maverick

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Hedlyna on July 01, 2012, 12:50:19 PM
Wow, what a difference between the Bradley temp gauge and the actual temp. I'm glad you guys talked me into the maverick

Nice. Once I started smoking with the Bradley and pellet pooper, there is no way that I could do it without some sort of stand alone thermometer. A good addidtion to the Maverick would be something like a Thermapen for spot checking. Sometimes, thermoworks.com will have them on sale, usually someone will post it here and lets everyone know.
Mike