Fun with bacon

Started by Grouperman941, July 07, 2012, 04:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I wasnted to try some beef. We got an eye round at a good price, so I went with that.

I have been reading that this can be wrapped in bacon to keep it moist and tender, so I wanted to try that. I tried my first bacon weave, and with the extra bacon, I made my first ABTs.

I also wanted to see what happened if it was not wrapped in bacon, so I cut the piece in half and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic.

Here's what happened:

no bacon:

bacon:

Side by side:

I smoked with oak (Jim Beam) to 125. It carried over to 132. Took about 3 hours. Bradley temp hovered around 230.

I didn't get a picture of the non-bacon roast beef. It looked just like a little roast beef.

It turned out that both were excellent. I actualy liked the one without bacon more. I sliced it all thin on my slicer, and it is some of the best cold cut roast beef I've ever had. The one with bacon was a little more moist, but the one without had a ton more flavor, especially smoke.

Here is some heating up in mushroom gravy:

And here is a sample slice:

And the ABTs:

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

rajzer

And the beef was not overdone!  Congrats!

SiFumar

The beef looks perfect!  Wonderful job with the ABTs too!

mikecorn.1

Looks great. Those ABTs look good. I like the look of the stem on them. I do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

That was a great cook. I was wondering how crisp the bacon got with only being in there a short time. Still pretty soggy I bet
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Grouperman941

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 08, 2012, 06:19:39 AM
That was a great cook. I was wondering how crisp the bacon got with only being in there a short time. Still pretty soggy I bet

The exposed parts were crisp, but the ones covered were not. I actually crisped the whole weave up in a pan afterward.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?