Brisket Basics

Started by st3v32k12, July 11, 2012, 09:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

st3v32k12

So the whole reason I invested in my BDS was for the brisket.  Everything else it can do is a just a bonus.

With that being said, I'd like to begin compiling some best practices for smoking dry rubbed brisket.  I have a basic rub recipe.  Other than that I am a blank slate, and my first attempts on the BBQ pre-BDS were disastrous.

My butcher routinely has 8.5 to 10 lbs briskets.  With that in mind, here are the questions I have:

1.  Apply dry rub and marinate overnight or not?
2.  What is the ideal temperature to smoke brisket, I have heard 185.
3.  Time per pound?
4.  How long to smoke?
5.  Which rack?
6.  Do I need to FTC and at what point?

Anything else that might help in not producing a large doorstop?

Thanks!

mikecorn.1

Take a look here   Our TIme Tested and Proven Recipes
There is some good info here on brisket
Mike

GusRobin

Quote from: st3v32k12 on July 11, 2012, 09:27:36 AM
So the whole reason I invested in my BDS was for the brisket.  Everything else it can do is a just a bonus.

With that being said, I'd like to begin compiling some best practices for smoking dry rubbed brisket.  I have a basic rub recipe.  Other than that I am a blank slate, and my first attempts on the BBQ pre-BDS were disastrous.

My butcher routinely has 8.5 to 10 lbs briskets.  With that in mind, here are the questions I have:

Matter of personal choice. If you have the time I would overnight it. I wouldn't delay the smoke for it though

Temp for the smoker or for the meat? For the smoker 185 is too low, I would go in the 225-250 range for the smoker and take out the meat when its IT reaches 185
3.  Time per pound?
Go by IT of meat, but for planning I use 1.0 to 1.5 lb but each is different
4.  How long to smoke?
I smoke for no more than 4 hrs
5.  Which rack?
I have a 4 rack and use the 2nd from the top
You don't need to FTC, but I think it helps. "At what point" has me confused - to be clear FTC is where you wrap the meat in foil, then a towel and put in a cooler (no ice) for a couple of hours. This obviously would occur when the meat was done. Now there is the "Texas crutch" where prior to being done some folks put in a "boat" with some juice and cover with foil. I never have done that so i will leave it to others to explain.

The best part is that you can always make tacos if it doesn't come out to your liking. Take good notes on what you do and when you do it, what rubs etc, so next time you can make adjustments if you want to

Thanks!
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Gus has you  pointed in the right direction

typically we warm up the box to 225 to 250 and warm up the smoke generator to 20 to 30 minutes while bringing the brisket to room temperature.  once this is all done load the brisket onto the second rack from the  top, open the vent 3/4 to full open and smoke for no more then 4 hours, keep the water bowl full until the  smoking process is over. remove  empty and fill with a  flavored beverage,,, your favorite  beer  would  work and continuing to  cook till a Internal temp of the meat  reaches 185 to 190  pull and your done

Ka Honu

What they said.  My only addition is that I typically flavor brisket with salt and pepper only - I don't want to mask the taste of the beef with anything else.  If you like it (strong taste), mesquite is the wood to use.  If not, oak or pecan are both excellent.

st3v32k12

Thanks for tips!!!  One question below

Quote from: GusRobin on July 11, 2012, 01:43:34 PM
Quote from: st3v32k12 on July 11, 2012, 09:27:36 AM

Matter of personal choice. If you have the time I would overnight it. I wouldn't delay the smoke for it though

Temp for the smoker or for the meat? For the smoker 185 is too low, I would go in the 225-250 range for the smoker and take out the meat when its IT reaches 185
I meant the smoker.  You say take out the meat at 185, and I do not doubt you, but I have read that that is the IT that all the fat begins to liquify, and that process can take a while.  Do you need to leave it in for a bit at 185 or FTC for 1-2 hours afterwards to let that procedure occur
3.  Time per pound?
Go by IT of meat, but for planning I use 1.0 to 1.5 lb but each is different
4.  How long to smoke?
I smoke for no more than 4 hrs
5.  Which rack?
I have a 4 rack and use the 2nd from the top
You don't need to FTC, but I think it helps. "At what point" has me confused - to be clear FTC is where you wrap the meat in foil, then a towel and put in a cooler (no ice) for a couple of hours. This obviously would occur when the meat was done. Now there is the "Texas crutch" where prior to being done some folks put in a "boat" with some juice and cover with foil. I never have done that so i will leave it to others to explain.

The best part is that you can always make tacos if it doesn't come out to your liking. Take good notes on what you do and when you do it, what rubs etc, so next time you can make adjustments if you want to

Thanks!

robesaw

I have a similar question regarding internal temp.

Smoked a nice 14lb brisket yesterday - my first one.  I aimed to get a large brisket and it was large so I cut in half.  Plenty of fat cap and I used a rub overnight prior (recipe on the Iphone app).  I was aiming for an IT of 185 as I've seen suggested here but since the boys were over playing poker I pulled the thinner half (about 2" or more) out after about 10 hours.  It peaked at about 165 but stalled and dropped to about 156 for the last hour or so.  Tented for plenty of time and while it was excellent, I thought it was overcooked.  My oven temp was aiming for about 225.

The thicker half (about 3" or more) I left in for another couple of hours and then pulled and FTC'd for a couple hours.  It was very nice and plenty moist, etc. but still neither piece broke 165 at any time.  I am trying to figure if I would have had a better result if I left until I hit temp, or if they would both have dried out and toughened.  Neither were 'pulled pork' tender but the thicker piece was much more tender and moist.  Are there any other opinions on internal temps?  Or did I do something incorrect?

I can't imagine what it would turn out like if I waited until 185, though I'll definitely try next time I run a brisket.

KyNola

st3v32k12, At 185 the fat has already rendered.  When the brisket hits 185, it's done.  If you are looking for more of a "pulled" type brisket, take the IT on up to around 200.

robesaw, simply put, you removed the meat too soon.  I don't know what you were measuring the temp of the meat with but if you removed the brisket at 165 and you thought it was overcooked then I suspect you need a new meat thermometer.  If you were looking for an IT of 185 it makes no sense to have taken them out at 165.  The 10 hour cook time and only at 165 most likely caused you to think "10 hours.....they MUST be done".  Time has zero to do with when a brisket is done.  Brisket is done when it is done, just like a pork butt and ribs.  I have had briskets to take 18-20 hours.  Also, a brisket will most likely never be "pulled pork tender" although you can take the IT of a brisket up to 200 and pull the meat like a pork butt but it will still not be as tender.

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on July 19, 2012, 11:03:42 AM... a brisket will most likely never be "pulled pork tender" ...

... but if (for some unknown reason) you want it close to that way, take it out at about 180o IT and throw it in the crockpot with the drippings for a few hours.  Also a way to salvage tough and dry "mistakes."

Sailor

st3v32k12,  The guys have you covered.  I will just throw in ......my for what ever it's worth department. 

When you say smoke at a temp of 185 I am hoping that is the Internal Temp that you are speaking off.  Just want to make sure that you don't plan to have the cabinet temp set on 185.  Got to get the cabinet temp up to at least 225.  That is where I like to have mine set.  Some guys will turbo them at 250 to 275 but getting a Bradley that high will be pretty hard.

I have rubbed and wrapped and overnighted in the fridge and rubbed a put straight in the smoker.  I think it is how you want to do it as that is the fun of smoking, doing different things to see what works.  The we have the debate of Fat cap up or Fat cap down.  Well, I won't bring that can up worms up.  ;D

If this is your first brisket PLEASE be sure to get the meat all inside the rack.  Don't let it hang off or touch the walls.  You will get grease drippings and if the meat is touching the walls you will get grease dripping down and miss the V-Tray and it could start a fire.

I would also recommend that you keep a log of your cook.  What you rubbed it with, how much, overnight or not.  What wood, how long.  When it was done....etc.  This way you will know what you did right and what went wrong so you will not make the same mistake again.  When you hit that PERFECT brisket you will be able to do it over and over again.

Good luck and we want pics.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

st3v32k12

Not looking for pulled pork tender, but more when it is sliced (against the grain of course) it can be easily pulled apart.

ramp_rat

Thanks to all the respondents to this thread.  And thanks to the OP for asking the same questions that I needed ;D.
Also a huge thanks to Habanero Smoker, Raye Minor, and the others who put forth the effort to compile the recipe section into a downloadable database.  If I could give a tidbit of advice to other smoker Noobs, download this database- http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?536-Recipe-Download!!  Most, if not all of your questions will be answered  :).

Sorry if this constitutes a thread hijack, but...
My first brisket ever is in the BDS now for about 2 hrs so far, with an IT of 117F.  Hopefully it will be done and FTC'd in another16 hrs or so for Mom's birthday BBQ.  Used the rub suggested by Pachanga in the recipe section, smoking 4 hrs with mesquite/ whiskey oak (1:2) and final hour with whiskey oak alone.

Gotta get me a photobucket account so's I can add pics for ya!

Cheers,

Al
I would eat 8-10 servings of vegetables a day... if bacon were a vegetable.
Vegetarian- (n) Old First Nations term for "Lousy Hunter".

Habanero Smoker

Hi  ramp_rat;

Welcome to the forum.

The credit should go to Raye who contributes a lot of time and money to keep that site up and running, to the many members who have contributed recipes to the site, and pioneered the use of the Bradley Smoker on this forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)