• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boston butt and brisket

Started by Hedlyna, July 06, 2012, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedlyna

Ok everybody, I have a 5 lb Boston butt and a 5 lb brisket if I start them both at the same time they should be done relatively close to the same time....right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hedlyna

By the way they will both be going into my wonderful, stainless steel digital four rack. None of that other junk.....strictly Bradley for me ;)

mikecorn.1

I wouldn't bet on the being done at the same time. All meats are different. Weather it's size, fat content, age. Some piggies and cowies are tougher than other. Just cause they are the
Same weight doesn't mean they'll be done at the same time.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 06, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
I wouldn't bet on the being done at the same time. All meats are different. Weather it's size, fat content, age. Some piggies and cowies are tougher than other. Just cause they are the
Same weight doesn't mean they'll be done at the same time.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur - My bet would be that the piggy will take a little longer (assuming you want to take it to a doneness that you can pull it and just slice the beef.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Hedlyna

Yes that's exactly what I want, what temp do you suggest for each?

Hedlyna

And when you reach those temps do you FTC? And if so how long? Thank you for your help

GusRobin

I would go 185* on the brisket; 195* on the pork.  I would FTC for at least 2 hours.
Just my personal preference.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Hedlyna

FTC both meats?

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Hedlyna

Thanks

Wildcat

IMHO the butt does not need FTC. Just a rest covered on the counter to cool enough to handle. Also the internal temps mentioned sound great assuming you are cooking above 205/210 cabinet temp.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Hedlyna

The cabinet temp is going between 215 and 235 according to the maverick. The Bradley set point is 250

KyNola

Sounds like your Bradley may be struggling a little to reach the 250 mark but the 215-235 temps are fine for what you are cooking.  Two things, when did you put the meat in the smoker?  If it was recently put in the smoker then the meat being cold will throw the temp off in the tower.  Where do you have the probe placed that is monioring the temp in the tower?  Should be placed underneath the lowest rack that has meat on it but where it doesn't get dripped on.  By placing it in that position you are reading the temp that is reaching the meat.

Hedlyna

I actually have it between the two racks, my brisket is already at 176 and the pork is at 139 so I rotated the racks hoping to stall the brisket a little. Wasn't planning on eating for another 7 hours. It's only been on for four hours. I've been wanting to add the second element but I'm afraid of getting into something I know nothing about....or how much it'll cost

Hedlyna

Oh, and thanks for the tips.