No smoke

Started by Rugbynut, July 12, 2012, 03:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rugbynut

Hi All

I was hoping you might be able to help. I have converted an old catering fridge which although an excellent size (1.6m x 0.7m) is proving a problem when cold smoking due to the insulation. If the generator is attached I have an increase in temp of about 20 degrees C. In winter this is not too much of a problem but now we are heading into summer (any of you in England will know that this is not the word I should be using for the current weather!!) the temp is just too high. As such I purchased a cold smoke adaptor and all seemed fine until I tried to smoke a batch of salmon. Now the chamber does not seem to fill with smoke. It is not coming out anywhere else so I am little confused.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? And any ideas on how I might be able to cure it?

Cheers

Rugbynut

mikecorn.1

??? I'm confused. What doesn't fill up with smoke. The cold smoke adapter or the fridge?  Is it backing up and out where the SG is at?  Do you have a vent in the fridge? Any pics?  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Up In Smoke

Rugbynut,
when you are cold smoking in the summer are you using the cooling unit in the fridge?
if you are, the cold air (being heavier than the warm air) will keep the smoke from rising into
the cook/smoke chamber.
IF this is the case you may want to pipe the smoke into the top of your unit and vent it through
the bottom somehow.
basically creating a downdraft system.
Hope this in some way helps.
Oh, and welcome to the boards  :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Rugbynut

Sorry for not making myself clear mikecorn.1

The generator is working fine but the fridge does not seem to fill with smoke. It does not appear to be backing up as the shed (where the smoker is stored) does not fill with smoke at all.

As to pics unfortunately it is night here at the moment. Also got so hacked off with the adapter so got hurled across the garden!!!!

I was wondering if there is extra draw created because of the extra length and if I need to try and restrict the airflow at the chimney??

Thanks 'up in smoke' but no the fridge is not running. It is purely used as a smoke chamber.

Rugbynut

Habanero Smoker

Hi Rugbynut;

Welcome to the forum.

The cold smoke adapter should be lower than the cabinet. Try to keep the hose as straight as possible, and as short as possible. Though you want some length in the hose to allow the smoke to cool. Open your top vent(s) more to create a better draft.

If you search the forum you will find members who have installed fans inside hose to either help move smoke to the chamber or to exhaust it.

The below link is an example of a fan that will help draw the smoke through the chamber. It sits over the exhaust vent:

Power Vent

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)