On Off Switch on Smoke Generator

Started by jm38712, July 26, 2012, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jm38712

Just got my Original Bradley Smoker for my birthday last week from my wife and kids.  I've done two smokes with ribs and love the results.  Still need to play with rubs and sauce but my rib rub mixture from the oven seems to work really well.

Just a quick question to confirm my understanding of the on off switch.  The manual is not clear.

Is the on off switch on the smoke generator just for the smoke or for both the smoke and heat?  My assumption is that the smoke generator on off switch is just smoke and the lo high slider for heat is also on off for heat.  Correct?

In other words if I am going to smoke for the first half of the time and no smoke for the second half, I should turn the smoke generator switch to off once I run out of wood pucks.  I was going to do this but worried this would turn off the heat as well.

Thanks.

richardvoyageur

Quote from: jm38712 on July 26, 2012, 02:32:41 PM

Just got my Original Bradley Smoker for my birthday last week from my wife and kids.  I've done two smokes with ribs and love the results.  Still need to play with rubs and sauce but my rib rub mixture from the oven seems to work really well.

Just a quick question to confirm my understanding of the on off switch.  The manual is not clear.

Is the on off switch on the smoke generator just for the smoke or for both the smoke and heat?  My assumption is that the smoke generator on off switch is just smoke and the lo high slider for heat is also on off for heat.  Correct?

In other words if I am going to smoke for the first half of the time and no smoke for the second half, I should turn the smoke generator switch to off once I run out of wood pucks.  I was going to do this but worried this would turn off the heat as well.

Thanks.

The On/off switch on the smoke generator is solely to heat the plate which the pucks sit on, so essentially both smoke and heat.  What I do is never turn that off, I use Bubba Pucks so that they push the old pucks into the water and you won't just be burning your last puck into ashes.  Now that I have completed my 2nd heater element & PID, I will probably turn off my smoker box once I'm finished with the smoke since I'll be able to keep temperature much better.

If you're fairly new at this, a few general tips off the top of my head:

-Pretty much keep your vent fully open all the time, keeping it closed doesn't help with heat and can produce the black drip with certain foods
-use a bowl of hot water or a hot foil wrapped brick inside the cooker to keep your temps up after opening door
-OR get yourself a 2nd element modification with dual PID like most of us, it really is a great addition
-don't clean the inside of the smoker with chemicals, just water and a rag if you really want to
-put 2 bigger feet on the front of your smoker as the stock feet will eventually crack your faceplate due to pressure on the plastic
-use Jan's Rub  :)
-get yourself a wireless thermometer like the Maverick 73, it is really great and makes smoking even easier
-before your warranty is up, inspect your box to see what has cracked.  My door and faceplate both went and I was able to get replacements
-yandandpool.com sells a lot of parts and misc stuff, check them out

hope that helps, see ya
Sell the sizzle and the steak

Habanero Smoker

Hi jm38712;

Welcome to the forum.

To add to the above post, you can load only as many bisquettes as you need smoke and leave the generator on during the full cooking time for the extra heat; if you need it.

Here is a link for more helpful information:

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BeagleLady58

I am smoking for the first time right now & was wondering the same thing jm! You guys are great help here & I will be visiting often for your smoke pro advice! Thanks!!

beefmann

BeagleLady58

Quote from: beefmann on July 29, 2012, 03:06:03 PM
welcome to the forun
Thank You Beefman! :) It smells so good on my deck right now!!! :P
Can't wait to try my first experiment!!!

jm38712

Thanks everyone for the replies.  It's taken a while to come back, too busy at work (but have found time to golf and smoke some ribs).

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. Before I did my 2nd element mod, I would keep the SG running for extra heat in the cabinet. As was stated above by Habs.
Mike

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)