First try at jerky

Started by TMB, July 27, 2012, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

My boss wanted some jerky made from venison so I said bring it I'll do it for you.  I didn't tell him I have never done this type before  ;D.   Well anyway here it is ready for the Bradley!

1st I cut it in 3 parts (easier to deal with)

Next I sliced it up

I added the cure and gunpowder together then applied it to the meat and will let it set overnight then into the Bradley in the morning
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

Looking forward to the rest of the pics.
Mike

TMB

Well all done and now sitting in a papper bag to soak up the rest of the grease.
Here is nthe roast alread to go into the Bradley

I used 2.5 hrs of smoke and ran the Bradley at 150 temp for the first hr then kicked it up to 175 for the rest of the time.
Took about 4 hrs to get the texture I wanted

Hard to see I know, but it's done and ready to be pulled out. Chris (10.5) said to pull when done and put the peices in a papper bag to soak up the extra grease before putting then in a plastic bag

mikecorn.1

Looks good. What's the deflector looking thingy above the V- tray? I remember reading a thread on it a long while ago. I think some member here was making it. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Consooger

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 28, 2012, 09:19:35 PM
Looks good. What's the deflector looking thingy above the V- tray? I remember reading a thread on it a long while ago. I think some member here was making it. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what he said
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TMB

SouthernSmoked sent that to me a while ago, works great!!

WOW, thanks for the reminder I owe him big time for that.  Looks like a trip to the store for things to send him

Tenpoint5

The Jerky turned out looking pretty Good Tommy. How did the boss like it?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 30, 2012, 07:19:09 AM
The Jerky turned out looking pretty Good Tommy. How did the boss like it?
LOVED IT, so brownie points to me  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Keymaster

Nice Job Tommy!! I took a bag of Lems BBQ flavored Beef jerky camping last weekend and it was gone real quick and everyone like it, I prefer Lems Original flavor myself.

OU812

Oh Yeah!

Bout how much GP per lb did ya use?

TMB

Quote from: OU812 on July 31, 2012, 10:25:14 AM
Oh Yeah!

Bout how much GP per lb did ya use?
I put 3  tbs GunPowder +  1 tsp of the cure in an empty salt shaker and lightly covered the meat.   I then placed the container of meat in the fridge for 12 hrs or so before I smoked in the Bradley

OU812

NePaSmoKer

Nice jerky there Tommy

I need to make more some day

BrandNewSmoker

looks good,
what was the total time in the smoker if ya dont mind?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.