It is time to cut through the mustard

Started by Oldman, March 25, 2006, 06:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

This following is not quite correct...thus this a have to post:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Yes, I can see the IP addy, but it changes meaning he is dial-up. Banning the addy would require banning all customers of that ISP.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

An ISP has a set range for its customers. Normally it is the last set of the octets that changes for dynamic connections. However the 3rd can change as well. In all the years we fought game hackers we never saw the 2nd set change. Now there are a couple of ways to do this.

<b>One:</b>
123.67.223.01  &lt;--- There are four sets of octets.

To limit the chance of banning an honest gamer we only ban the range of the last set which is 0 to 255.

123.67.223.0 &lt;--- ranges starts here. 123.67.223.255 &lt;--- range ends here.

This blocks 256 IPs.  You never block off of the 3rd set. If you did you would effectively block 65,536 IPs.

<b>Two:</b>
AS I said an ISP has a given range for a customer. I don't remember any game hacker with a range of more than 7 or 8. So the second option was to ban the single IP every time he showed up.

Now for the bad news. There are proxies all over the world. [:(!] There are programs that for chump change a fool can purchase that will change his IP every single second going from one proxy to another.

However, they do have draw backs that can bite an uneducated user in his A$$. One of the programs I know about ($50.00) if the user is not real sharp then sooner or later that user gets to re-install their browser [:0]OUCH![:0]  A person on dial up would never effectively use one of these over the counter programs as they are speed killers. The first time a trouble maker used one of these and it took him 20 minutes to re-register he would get tired of it real quick.

Now for the fun news. There are re-directs that can be added to a site that when a trouble maker logs on he finds himself looking at another site... say Disneyland's home page! [:D] This is an effective way of banning a member without banning his IP. Sure he can log back on under another name, IP etc.. However, if he does come back two or three times now you have a hard copy of information to give his ISP.

At the end of the day even if his Mac Address was known (Media Access Control Address.) you would have to still ban the single IP address  or use a re-direct as a Mac can be spoofed as well.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Much more effective is to contact said ISP & show them that one of their subscribers is using their service to harrass someone.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Chez is on spot here. About 3 months back we had a really sharp game hacker that was taking down our gaming server. No matter what we did in a day or so he found his way around it. We contacted his ISP and sent a copy of our logs--He went Poof.  

BTW this is my new sig pic for the recipe site:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have the same thought about who meatman really is.

PS
I was almost a year ago since his previous appearance.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Chez if you want and have time go back to last years trouble maker and compair his IP to meatman's. If the first two octets are the same then it is a good bet it is him. If the first three octets are the same then it is him.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

That was all Greek to me Olds but thanks just as well. I'm sure you folks can handle this guy hands down. Nice signature picture. Geez I need some time off to learn all this stuff!
[;)] Thanks again for the information.

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />In all the years we fought game hackers we never saw the 2nd set change. Now there are a couple of ways to do this.
<b>One:</b>
123.67.223.01  &lt;--- There are four sets of octets.
To limit the chance of banning an honest gamer we only ban the range of the last set which is 0 to 255.
123.67.223.0 &lt;--- ranges starts here. 123.67.223.255 &lt;--- range ends here.
This blocks 256 IPs.  You never block off of the 3rd set. If you did you would effectively block 65,536 IPs.
<b>Two:</b>
AS I said an ISP has a given range for a customer. I don't remember any game hacker with a range of more than 7 or 8. So the second option was to ban the single IP every time he showed up.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ummmm, ya, that sounds right.
Last year I used a garden hose to "ban" a cat that was unwanted in my flowers.[;)]
Anyone else have any useful tricks?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />22 Short
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good idea...but I don't know if Kirk can upload that through the phone line

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />22 Short
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D][:D][:D]

Still too loud though with neighbors 50 feet away.

Suppressor.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">22 Short<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LMAO! I used to have a dog that was pretty good at that sort of thing.
T2

Kummok

Makes no sense to me at all, defending someone of Old's caliber against the likes of 'meathead'.....pure waste of time. I've always looked at a person's ACTIONS to judge their caliber and Old's is smoookin the competition in that arena! And you will in this new venture too, Olds....Just remember that their's always plenty of mooring space for your yacht in Homer Harbor![8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Makes no sense to me at all, defending someone of Old's caliber against the likes of 'meathead'.....pure waste of time.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well said Kummock, I totally agree.

Manxman.
Manxman