Beef brisket first time

Started by Brady Smoker!, August 12, 2012, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

Im going to cook a beef brisket any tips on temps, what type of smoke, times a rub/cure etc?
BDS 4 RACK

Ka Honu

Best advice you're gonna get is to go to the recipe site here and read the tutorials in the beef section by Pachanga and WesTexaSmoker.  Then, if you still have any specific questions, ask away.

mikecorn.1

A big ole Texas Ditto on that up above by the Turtle  :)
Mike

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Kahunas

Quote from: Brady.G on August 12, 2012, 08:52:00 AM
Im going to cook a beef brisket any tips on temps, what type of smoke, times a rub/cure etc?
Hi Brady.G
I go 2-3 hours of cherry, cook at 235, and use basic rub for beef. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. And I always use the texas crutch (I add beer instead of juice). Many others don't but I like my results, so I do.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GusRobin

Quote from: Kahunas on August 14, 2012, 08:39:30 AM
Hi Brady.G
I go 2-3 hours of cherry, cook at 235, and use basic rub for beef. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. And I always use the texas crutch (I add beer instead of juice). Many others don't but I like my results, so I do.
when you crutch, at what temp do you put in foil and for how long or to what temp?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Kahunas

Quote from: GusRobin on August 14, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: Kahunas on August 14, 2012, 08:39:30 AM
Hi Brady.G
when you crutch, at what temp do you put in foil and for how long or to what temp?
I crutch at 165 and leave it on through the FTC. I like to pull my brisket and FTC when it hits 190-195.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brady Smoker!

It sounds like the same method i used for my pork butt on the weekend, it turned out amazing using the texas crutch im a big fan i will use that for a brisket too
BDS 4 RACK

Ka Honu

The "Crutch" and similar methods are great time-savers and produce an excellent product but have one drawback - you don't get as much (or as crisp) bark.  Not really an issue for most but you should take that into account.