First pork butt, any tips?

Started by Brady Smoker!, August 09, 2012, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

im cooking a 3 pound pork butt on saturday,
what temp should i cook at? how many hrs of smoke? and what internal temp am i looking for?
BDS 4 RACK

Kahunas

I like to go at 225 with 2 hours of smoke.....others swear by 4 hours. To each his own though, it all depends on how much you like. I shot for an IT of 195 or more before pulling it and doing the ole FTC. I alway do use the crutch on mine too. At about 165 or so I wrap it with a splash of apple juice and let it finish wrapped. Your gonna love your first one as long as you are nice and patient with it and by all means.....have fun.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brady Smoker!

i did some ribs last weekend and did 3hrs of smoke i think i will try that again, so at 165 wrap it in some tin foil and finish it? and then when it reaches 195 wrap it again with foil and a towel and put it in a cooler right? how long roughly will a 3 pound butt take, and how long should i put it in the cooler wrapped for?
BDS 4 RACK

Kahunas

Quote from: Brady.G on August 09, 2012, 02:22:38 PM
i did some ribs last weekend and did 3hrs of smoke i think i will try that again, so at 165 wrap it in some tin foil and finish it? and then when it reaches 195 wrap it again with foil and a towel and put it in a cooler right? how long roughly will a 3 pound butt take, and how long should i put it in the cooler wrapped for?
Shouldn't need to wrap it foil again unless it looks like it will leak. I leave them in the cooler for an hour or more myself. Mostly, as long as you can stand it.

Brady Smoker!

thanks alot, what do you mean by you use a crutch on yours?
BDS 4 RACK

TedEbear

Quote from: Brady.G on August 09, 2012, 02:36:54 PM

The Texas Crutch

I thought it was mainly a rib thing but people seem to have good results with using it on other meats.

Consooger

wow that's a tiny butt. Rub that puppy down with molasses and your favorite rub and let er ride. I do mine at about 230-240 with 4-5 hours of smoke, I like Hickory or pecan with the vent wide open with an apple juice pan to keep moisture in the cabinet and to catch the drippings.

As for how long it will take, I've learned here..."it's done when it's done" I would pull it when it hits an IT of 190-195 if you then want to FTC it. I normally pull mine when it hits between 190-195. My butts normally take about 20 hours but then again I cook butts between 8#'s and 11#'s

Best of luck with the first try. I never use the crutch with my poke, I do however with my brisket and my ribs.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Kahunas

Quote from: Brady.G on August 09, 2012, 02:36:54 PM
Hi Brady,
It refers to wrapping it at 165 with foil. I like the results it gives me and I like the extra juice that is captured for use with other things but others prefer to not use it. It is all about what you prefer more than anything. With butt it is probably not necessary but again, I use the juice for making tamales, bbq sauce, etc. Plus it is the most moist pulled pork you will ever have and I have never had one come out tough.

Brady Smoker!

I ended up going with a 4.5 pound butt, i got it from a local butcher for $12.50 im going to start it at 7am tomorrow ill post some pics once i find out how to on my iphone
BDS 4 RACK

Brady Smoker!

Thanks guys for all the tips, i cooked my 4.5 pound butt today turned out amazing soo moist and juicy, i used the texas crutch and it was amazing, used 3 hrs special blend the foiled at 165 and continued cooking to 195 the FTC for 2 hrs, it took about 9 hrs total, it came apart like butter i used a dinosaur red rub from dinosaur BBQ in the states that i made up and some 10.5 sop n' sauce, i couldnt have asked for a better first pork butt, thanks again guys for the tips pics soon
BDS 4 RACK

Kahunas

GREAT!!
It is always nice when a plan comes together. A picture or two would be great. Glad it worked out for you.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you were successful.

I've never tried the Dinosaur Red Rub on butts, only on ribs. I may give it a try the next time I smoke/roast a butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)