Shipping Summer Sausage

Started by drunknimortal, August 25, 2012, 05:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunknimortal

I've made some summer sausage that I want to ship to a friend. I used cure #1 and cooked to 152 then vacuum sealed. Will it be ok in the mail  for a couple of days?

Keymaster

I would say it should be refrigerated somehow while shipping but I have never actually shipped my meats. Nepas ships a lot, he will be along soon to give you a definate answer.

Sailor

Quote from: drunknimortal on August 25, 2012, 05:45:13 AM
I've made some summer sausage that I want to ship to a friend. I used cure #1 and cooked to 152 then vacuum sealed. Will it be ok in the mail  for a couple of days?
I have shipped a lot of Summer Sausage by mail.  I have shipped in the heat of summer and cold of winter without any problems.  Make sure your vac pack is sealed properly.  Any leaks where air gets in may give you trouble.  I use priority mail and most of the time it gets there within 3 days.  A month ago I shipped a box of Snack stixs and Summer Sausage to my daughter and the the post office lost it......go figure.  It took them 7 days to get it to her.  South Florida to Atlanta GA.  Just love the Government.  At any rate, I told her to toss it and I would make her more.  She said she was going to eat it but I could send more any way  :o  She said it tasted great and nothing wrong with it.  If there was any air I would have insisted that she pitch it.

Bottom line is that I am not afraid to ship smoked meat that has been cured as long as it is properly vac sealed.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Yup what Jim said.

Dont be ascared  :o

I vac seal mine 2x. Even has been shipped to Iraq & Afghanistan

pmmpete

I have shipped a lot of meat, fish,and sausage, but I always ship it frozen and with dry ice in small medical supply coolers.  I know one person who receives medicine every month in a small styrofoam cooler, and gives the coolers to me.  They are about 14" long by 12" wide by 10" high, and are about 2.5" thick.  The only disadvantage of styrofoam coolers is that UPS and other shippers require you to put them in a cardboard box.  I know another person who gets medicine in a cooler made of a cardboard box with spray foam molded inside it, with a smaller cardboard box inside the foam.  These coolers are even better, as the foam is about 3" thick, and you don't need to put them in a cardboard box.  I fill the cooler with frozen meat, leaving a little room on top for a small piece of dry ice.  On my way to UPS or the post office, I stop by my neighborhood grocery store, add a small piece of dry ice, tape it shut, and ship it.  With either kind of cooler, meat arrives in 2-3 days still frozen.

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Don't get caught shipping dry ice. It is considered a hazardous item and according to USPS policies can be considered domestic terrorism. Just FYI
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

SiFumar

Actually Scottie you can mail dry ice up to to 5lb block.  Yes it is a hazardous material but if you pack it to the USPS requirements, then you can mail it.  The way  pmmpete does it is perfectly acceptable.

pmmpete

According to UPS, it's OK to ship non-medical US domestic packages containing up to 5.5 pounds of dry ice.  See http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/materials/coolants.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=dry++ice&WT.svl=SRCH .

Chef57

I shipped smoked fish a few times and put it in insulated bags along with ice packs and sent it via courier.  I don't trust our postal system here in Canada to send anything via snail mail!  It was still frozen when it got to where it was going.

Keymaster

We have a device at work that makes dry ice from Co2. If there is a long pipe that devlopes a pinhole leak we can attach this device  4 feet on each side of the leak and freeze the pipes allowing us to cut out and solder new pipes in between the frozen pipes and it leaves dry ice for the maintenance guys to play with and put in their coffee cups, fun stuff :D