How to cook salmon instead of BBQ'ing, not "smoked"???

Started by chiroken, September 01, 2012, 04:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

I want to smoke/cook 1 salmon filet (fish whole = 7-8 lbs) but not smoke in the traditional salmon sense. I want to cook it in the bradley rather than how I usually BBQ it (wrapped in tinfoil). I can't come across any suggestions/procedures on how to do this, what temp, how long etc.

Anyone help??? I'm on a Bradley weekend....5 lbs of beef jerkey yesterday, 2 stuffed - bacon - wrapped pork loins in the smoker as we speak, 3 full back racks of ribs spiced and in the fridge for tomorrow night, then the next night is to be salmon (if I can figure it out in time). Yehaw!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Keymaster

Maybe the roasted salmon on the Bradley website would be fitting for your needs.

pokermeister

I've done this twice, and seems to work well. Cut salmon across filet about 1" wide. Put in container w/ 1cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 T of old bay and 1T pepper. Mix well and let sit overnight. Wash brine off salmon, season w/ rub if desired. Smoke 2 hours, and cook 2 more hours at 200. Make sure salmon strips are not touching each other while smoking.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

chiroken

I have smoked salmon many times, typically with Kummocks brine. Both previous posters have given recipes where brining is done overnight (I appreciate the advise by the way  :)). I'm not looking to cure the salmon, just cook it in the smoker to get the smokey flavour. Then eat it! The same idea as I've done with chicken breasts, pork tenderloin etc.

If anyone has any suggestions before I just go ahead and guess...any reasons why salmon can't be cooked this way?

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

pokermeister

Make sure you get the internal temp up to the right temp (not sure, but I think it is 150).
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

OU812

Keymaster

Quote from: chiroken on September 01, 2012, 09:01:14 PM
I have smoked salmon many times, typically with Kummocks brine. Both previous posters have given recipes where brining is done overnight (I appreciate the advise by the way  :)). I'm not looking to cure the salmon, just cook it in the smoker to get the smokey flavour. Then eat it! The same idea as I've done with chicken breasts, pork tenderloin etc.

If anyone has any suggestions before I just go ahead and guess...any reasons why salmon can't be cooked this way?

Thanks
Did you scroll down to the Roasted Salmon dinner? I read nothing about brining overnight.

Roast Salmon Dinner

Ingredients
1 kg (2 lb) spring salmon fillets or salmon steaks
6 cloves crushed garlic
125 ml (4 oz) finely shaved fresh ginger root.
175 ml (6 oz) melted butter
Seasoning (or lemon) pepper
Salt

Preparation

In a small glass bowl, mix the butter, garlic and ginger together. Place the salmon (fillets skin side down) on greased Bradley Smoker racks. Brush the melted butter and ingredients evenly on the top of the salmon. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper to taste.

Smoking Method

Place racks of salmon in the Bradley Smoker with the damper slightly open. Using Special Blend flavor bisquettes in the smoke generator and with the heat on medium to high 90°C to 105°C (200°F to 220°F), this dinner should be ready in about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

To Serve

Serve with a salad and homemade mango salsa. Mix together 2 peeled and chopped mangos, 1 seeded and finely chopped sweet red and jalapeño pepper, 2 thinly sliced green onions, juice and finely shredded peel of 2 limes, a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. This is a wonderful west coast summertime dinner.

chiroken

Quote from: Keymaster on September 02, 2012, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: chiroken on September 01, 2012, 09:01:14 PM

Thanks
Did you scroll down to the Roasted Salmon dinner? I read nothing about brining overnight.

No, I missed the "roast" in your post. I read thru the famous bradleys hot smoked salmon, which is brined.

chiroken

So I found a simple youtube video of a guy cooking salmon with his bradley.

I took 1 fillet of a 7lb salmon, cut into 2 pieces.
-put 1 piece into glass cake pan a squeezed 1/2 a lemon over top, then flipped it over to soak in (skin on)
-spiced top with pepper, salt and "red garlic" powder from epicure
-repeated with other piece

-sprayed rack and both pieces onto 2nd from bottom into preheated smoker (280)
-2 pucks of alder and set temp for 230

-done in 55 min. and was excellent, definitely will be done again.