• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking a " CENTER CUT PORK ROAST"

Started by UNKYFUNKY, August 24, 2012, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNKYFUNKY

I had purchased a center cut pork roast from my supermarket and am not sure exactly where this falls in respect to cook times and internal temp recommendations.  Mistakenly, I did not use my Bible (Bradley forums) prior to choosing the best cut to smoke. It is a 10 pound roast, looks almost like a beef tenderloin (thin and long). It has a reasonable sized fat cap on it but is lean throughout.  I have already sectioned it in thirds and applied my various rubs for some sampling.  I planned on possibly thin slicing some of each for sandwiches and breaking apart the rest for pulled pork.  I have basically the whole line of Bradley pucks but based on reading, assumed I would use hickory.  Up till now, I have only done beef briskets, jerky and fish and could really use some direction.  Can anyone make recommendations as to: Smoking temp, internal temp, smoke flavor and amount of smoke or any other tips you can lend?  If it matters, I have a Bradley original electric 4 shelf with an Auber P.I.D
Thanks!!!   :-\
Bradley original smoker with Auber P.I.D. controler

KyNola

Sounds to me like you have a whole pork loin.  My personal opinion is that a loin is not going to make good pulled pork as by the time it gets to the "pulling" stage, it is going to be terribly dry because the loin is too lean.  I smoke pork loins to an internal temp of 140F, FTC for an hour or two and then slice for sandwiches or dinner.

I may be entirely wrong and will yield to more learned members of this forum.

squirtthecat

Ditto.  That is a pork loin.   Great for sammiches, etc.    Take it to 140°, foil and let it rest a bit before slicing.

UNKYFUNKY

Thank you guys very much!  That exactly what I needed to know, maybe i will pick up a small butt also to add to the pot! How about a picnic roast?  I had seen one with the skin on.  should I remove that before smoking (I would think not) and what temp should I cook the picnic or butt roast to?
Thanks again!
Bradley original smoker with Auber P.I.D. controler

muebe

You can also cut it up into thick chops for grilling.

I just made a stuffed one with apples and walnuts. It turned out excellent. But should be done around 350F otherwise for a long smoke it will come out dry.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Picnic roast will work but see if you can find a boston butt or a blade roast. Whichever you buy if you want to go for pulled pork take the IT to somewhere between 190-200.  Understand it is going to be a long ride in the Bradley.  You can always do the "smoke" in the Bradley and then move it to your house oven set at 225.  The butt or picnic is going to stall at around 150-160 for maybe 3-4 hours.  Don't bump the heat up.  It's doing just fine.  That's when the magic is happening.  The IT will start to move up again.

Habanero Smoker

You can make pulled pork from a loin cut. It is great for those that have to watch their fat intake.

Here is an example of Pulled Pork Loin. You can use what sauce you like, and/or change the seasonings.

I have done loins stuffed and unstuffed in the Bradley at 225°F. As long as I keep the IT at 140°F, I don't have a problem with dry pork.

With a picnic you generally want to remove the skin and most of the fat, if you want a good smoke flavor and seasoning to the meat. I some times leave the skin on when I am making a Cuban Style Pork. You brine, crosshatch the skin and season, such as Cuban Style BBQ

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)