• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Skin a tiny bit tough on first smoked whole chicken

Started by FumblingFoodie, August 26, 2012, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FumblingFoodie

First, let me say that the chicken was orgasmicly good.

I brined it for 2 hours followed by hot-smoking for 5 hours at 200 degrees.  I had a remote thermometer inserted into the thigh meat and so when it hit 170 degrees I pulled the bird out and carved it.  It was done to perfection. The skin was dark in color but I'd been warned about that. The flavor of the meat was excellent.

My only complaint was that the skin was a tiny bit tough.  When I roast a chicken in the oven the skin thins out at gets kind of crackly and is easy to tear off and chew. This one was tough enough that I'd almost want to remove the skin form the big pieces before serving.

Comments?

muebe

This is normal. When cooking chicken at lower temps(below 300F) you are going to get chewy skin. You can smoke it for a few hours in the Bradley and then finish it in the oven at 350F to get the skin you want.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Max

What Muebe said. Chicken or turkey finished in a 350 oven makes the skin so crisp I usually eat half of it off the bird while I'm carving it!

Kahunas

Or you can convince yourself that you need a Charbroil Big Easy oil free turkey fryer to finish it in. Under a hundred bucks and I love mine. The basket fits perfectly in a bradley so you can smoke the transfer to the fryer in the same basket.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

FLBentRider

Either way, I would take the chicken out of the smoker 5-8 degrees before your desired temp.

Say 160F. Then you need a high-heat finish to crisp the skin. Oven, grill, Big Easy...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!