Well I'm about back up and running

Started by Oldman, April 12, 2006, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Replaced H-Drive-- Not the fastest, only 7200 rpm-Seagate 160 gig. Larger than I wanted but with the rebate it cost less than a 40 gig.....Uh?  Monitor--wanted at least a 21" LCD but no one had one so I had to settled on 20" LCD however it MS is 5 up and 5 down, and not one dead pixual--so it should screem when I'm gaming.  Plus a V-card--not the lastest but not bad either. It's a G-force 7800 GS OC (256 megs.)  I figure given my time line with work that it will be this weekend before I finish adding all of the programs and stuff.

I'm glad I have a backup hard drive but still starting over is a real pain in the shorts...  :o

For those that don't know I have 3 hard drives. They all are in removable caddies. Just think of them as really BIG floppy disks...LOL~~! One is my personal drive. One is my business drive. These two are bootable. However, they cannot both be turned on at the same time. The last one is my data backup drive. I only turn it on when I need to back up an item.

For what it is worth when I looked at backups, Tape was too slow, CDs/ DVDs are to slow and all three are limited when you do a cost factor against a hard drive. This 160 gig with the rebate cost me 55.00. Kind of hard to beat that. Yes the caddies cost $30.00 but they don't generally wear out. This is the second drive in that caddie.  About every 6 months I will blow some WD40 into the fan's motor on the caddie.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Olds of Raye,

There are two things I use to back up myself and the small office I am in.

First I use standalone network drive by Simple, not the one for home use but the one you can plug it in to your network directly.  Second I use a inexpensive program called Backup4all www.backup4all.com, I use the Pro version, it's only about $50.00.  Has a lot of flexibility to it.

QuotePlus a V-card--not the lastest but not bad either. It's a G-force 7800 GS OC
Ya not bad...I plan on using 6800GTX's in my son's box...by the way when are you going to upgrade to dual SLI 7800GTX's.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

Raye,

I just traded up to a new 21" Gateway HD monitor I Picked up at Bestbuy.  Very sweet.  Rotates up to display pageview too, and jacks for tuner with PIP and is HD compatible. 

I bought a 17" Sony LCD 3 years ago with what I thought was a full-replacement warranty once a year for nominal amount.  I opted to do it 3 days prior to the expiration of the warranty for the first time, and they screwed around telling me it would be gone for 3 weeks for repair  NOT! 

So, the LCD Sony 17" was traded in for $539 credit for this beautiful $699 LCD Gateway I got on sale for $599.  Since the Sony was an open box purchase 3 years ago and I only paid $389 for it, it was the deal du jour! 

I am finally going to bite the bullet and get the Dual Quad Apple G5 I have wanted for some time.  No, Raye, no use for upgrading the PC too.  No chomping at the bit allowed, Raye, I am a Mac person! Apple offers a good discount for studends and retired military, so going to pick one up to replace my old G4 Mac.

Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors
1.25GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three open PCI-Express expansion slots
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM

I just love the MAC and the Windows based PC that my wife uses will get no special attention from me.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

IKnowWood

Bill

That sounds like a nice upgrade.

I am using a PowerBook G4 Aluminum and its getting old for me. Its about 2 years old now and I a m looking at the Core 2 Ghz MacBook for work.  The brighter display and faster system and better power management looks great for me.  At home I have a Mac Mini (original) and a 20" HD LCD that is great.  The LCD makes it so much nicer. 

Of course, at work the 23" HD LCD is even better.  No tuner nor HD signal at work however so I am deprived of that. But the colors, brightness and blends are amazing.

I hear the speed difference from your G4 to the new G5 Dual Quad will just be amazing.

As for the wifes, PC.  I converted my wife to the Apple a year and half ago so no PC worries for me.  Only Hard drives I need to worry about are at work on our servers.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Kummok

No Mac? No Peace! :'(
Know Mac....Know Peace!!  ;)

With Olds though, it doesn't matter what HE uses.....ya couldn't keep HIM down with 10 anvils, for very long!...in fact I believe that he could actually make an ANVIL run at giga-speeds! ;) ;D