two elements

Started by oldsmoker, August 04, 2012, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsmoker

Looking for the poast where somebody went with a wire from one to the outher one                                                                                                                                                                                       
OLDSMOKER

TedEbear

Quote from: OldSMOKER on August 04, 2012, 02:08:34 PM
Looking for the poast where somebody went with a wire from one to the outher one                                                                                                                                                                                       

Are you talking about running a short 3-4 inch piece of high temp wire from each end of the original element to each end of the second element?  That's how I wired mine.  Not a whole lot to it.  I didn't wire in an extra on/off switch like some people have done. I used a Dremel to cut a notch in the ceramic insulator for the wire and a couple of bare ring terminals for the wire connections.

If you add a second element be sure and use a PID controller with it.

oldsmoker

Thanks that is what i wanted to hear and yes i will be useing a pid       and i want to thank you again.
OLDSMOKER

TedEbear

Also, if you're going to mount the second element in the heat shield, when you make the holes be careful.  The thin metal tends to tear rather than cut when you drill a large hole in it.  I used progressively larger drill bits until I got it to around 3/8" and then a cone shaped grinding bit to enlarge each hole the rest of the way, just big enough for the element to side into.  I think the hole ended up being around 9/16".

I've read that the cages aren't needed around the elements because the newer ones aren't as fragile as they used to be but I figured mine originally came that way and drilling a couple of tiny holes for the cage wasn't much work.

hoover

hey tedbear,  i would like to add another element to my obs what do i all need.  will my original temp control on the front run both elements....i'm terrible at doing stuff lke this but have a friend whos an electrician just wondering how big of job it is.........i never can get enough heat special in the winter in wisconsin.......thx for any advice

NePaSmoKer

mikecorn.1

Quote from: hoover on August 29, 2012, 10:34:24 AM
hey tedbear,  i would like to add another element to my obs what do i all need.  will my original temp control on the front run both elements....i'm terrible at doing stuff lke this but have a friend whos an electrician just wondering how big of job it is.........i never can get enough heat special in the winter in wisconsin.......thx for any advice
On older threads is sometimes better or also to PM the member in case they don't go back and look at the thread again. Not that he won't be back by. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: hoover on August 29, 2012, 10:34:24 AM

I posted links on how to add a second element in another reply to you.  The links just show how to add a second element but if you'd rather go with the 900W finned element that several members have done there are threads with pics on how to do that.  PM me if you need any help.

hoover

where do i get the finer 900 element

TedEbear

Quote from: hoover on September 01, 2012, 04:25:25 PM
where do i get the finer 900 element

There are several different ones.  Grainger Supply sells a 900W finned heater.  If you do a search in the Bradley smoker forum for "900W' there are many posts with pics on who has done it, how they did it and the name of the one they used.

Here's one:  Upgrade Heating Element