Not so newbie needs help

Started by pokermeister, September 27, 2012, 01:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokermeister

After 22 smokes, I have had no problems with my NOBS (BS611). On my smoke Monday, with 4 pork shoulders about 8# each, I could not get my smoker above 185. Had to finish in the oven to get proper IT. Today, smoking thin sliced 5# chuck roast (jerky), the smoker again would not reach more than 185. I have a large brick, 9 x 9 x 1.5" cake pan with near boiling water and am familiar with heat conservation (no look). I have checked all connections separately of each other to try and pinpoint problem, but smoker stays at 185 max. Smoker is only 3 1/2 months old, and I still have great recovery after opening the door (back to temp within 5-6 minutes). Is heating element going bad? I live in Vegas, so outside temp is really not an issue (temp today is about 90). If outside temp is 90, what will the puck burner heat the cabinet to? Heating element still glows red, but not as bright as in the past. Thanks in advance for all the help. Donny :-\
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

GusRobin

where are you taking the cabinet temp from?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Ditto! You should invest in a stand alone thermometer to monitor the temp. I have the maverick et732. If you are going by the door thermometer, then you are not going to get a true temp cause most of the heat is towards the back of the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

pokermeister

Cabinet temp is from both the door, and my Maverick. Temp on both is within one degree of each other. Recovery time is after smoker is warmed up and loaded, with meat smoked at least an hour. Most of my loads have been 2 shelves; and typically in the 4 to 8 pound range for meat quantity; and usually starting at 50-70 degrees when I place meat in smoker. No circuit change or extension cord, same outlet outside for all smokes. Nothing else plugged into outlet. Made sure all plugs making contact. Any suggestions??

GusRobin

well if you usually do 4-8lbs and are doing 32# this load, that is probably the difference. Where is your maverick probe? The door is unreliable with a big load since the meat can block the probe. You should put your maverick probe below the lowest rack with meat. I just think you have a lot of meat and that is why you are getting the readings. (especially if probe is not at the lowest rack.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

Quote from: pokermeister on September 27, 2012, 06:54:30 PM
Cabinet temp is from both the door, and my Maverick. Temp on both is within one degree of each other. Recovery time is after smoker is warmed up and loaded, with meat smoked at least an hour. Most of my loads have been 2 shelves; and typically in the 4 to 8 pound range for meat quantity; and usually starting at 50-70 degrees when I place meat in smoker. No circuit change or extension cord, same outlet outside for all smokes. Nothing else plugged into outlet. Made sure all plugs making contact. Any suggestions??

Nothing added to this circut?

Some times an outside GFCI circut will feed another thing inside, say vent fan in the bathroom

pokermeister

To my knowledge, nothing else was being used on this circuit (everyone was at work). I also thought problem might exist with smoking so much meat, but also happened today with only about 4-5 lbs of chuck roast sliced thin for beef jerky. Temp today would not get above 185, with a whole lot less meat than Monday. Temp was taken from Maverick in middle of smoker, at the side(near rack holders).

pokermeister

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes