Ribs in fridge?

Started by bus33, September 17, 2012, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bus33

Hey, I was planning on smoking ribs this afternoon but the weather turned on me.  Now I won't have a chance to smoke these until Wednesday (today is Monday).  Will they be ok in the fridge until then or should I throw them back in the freezer?  They are coated with a dry rub and wrapped in plastic now. 

TedEbear

I thought you posted something back in June about covering your Bradley with an umbrella and how it made it smell nice. 

Rain Outfitted Bradley

Anyhow, two days in the fridge shouldn't matter, although some people say the ribs don't taste like ribs if the rub is left on for too long.  Get the umbrella back out and smoke 'em now.   ;)

bus33

Yeah that was me but the problem isn't as much the rain as it is the wind.  I had it rigged up but the wind was wreaking havoc on my umbrella. >:(

mikecorn.1

Depending in the rub ingredients, you might end up with ham flavored ribs. Maybe you can rinse them off first. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Your ribs will be fine.

What a memory TedEbear.  I can't remember what I had for dinner last night and you can recall a post from 4 months ago.  You must be much younger than me. ;)

TedEbear

Quote from: KyNola on September 17, 2012, 08:06:19 PMWhat a memory TedEbear.  I can't remember what I had for dinner last night and you can recall a post from 4 months ago.  You must be much younger than me. ;)

Nah, I just used the search feature.  I remember a pic or two of an umbrella covering their Bradley and I was looking for that.  I didn't know it was the OP until I found it again.   :)

Gizmo

Quote from: bus33 on September 17, 2012, 10:55:32 AM
Hey, I was planning on smoking ribs this afternoon but the weather turned on me.  Now I won't have a chance to smoke these until Wednesday (today is Monday).  Will they be ok in the fridge until then or should I throw them back in the freezer?  They are coated with a dry rub and wrapped in plastic now.

If they were frozen once, you won't want to re-freeze, generaly this tends to alter the texture of the meat and not in a good way.

A high salt concentration in the rub could pull moisture out but taking that into consideration during the cook could help reduce that potential issue. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

As far as food safety, that will depend on the sell by date of the ribs, and how they were handled since you purchased them, but you should be alright. As mentioned, the salt in the rub may be a factor. The salt can make your ribs hammy and as one member put it, "it will taste like enhanced pork".

If you have the ribs tightly wrapped and most of the liquid is in contact with the meat, a lot of the moisture that is initially drawn out by the salt; the salt will draw it back into the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mani

I had a similar problem with the garden brolly... I replaced it with an electrical extension lead for outside use and a small keter plastic shed, with front doors. Works a treat!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk