My 1st Smoke

Started by meo, September 07, 2012, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meo

Two weeks ago I completed my first smoke.  I think it turned out great and everyone really enjoyed it.  For my first smoke I wanted something that was a little easier and more forgiving so I decided to go with a 10lb Pork Butt. 

I mixed up some of Jan's dry rub and spread it over the Pork Butt after covering it with molasses first.  I also injected it with apple juice as well.  Then I wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours.  Took it out of the fridge to warm up to room temp for 2 hours then put it in a pre-heated smoker at 220oF.  I put my meat probe in it and set it to 185oF and then gave it 4 hours of smoke.  I thought it would only take about 12-15 hours but it took 24 hours to cook until it got to 185oF.  After about 22 hours into the cooking, I decided to give it one more hour of smoke. 

As I mentioned before, the finished product was amazing and very moist.  It lasted about a day after all of the neighbors came knocking at the door to sample the results.

I have a few questions:

• Should it have taken 24 hours to reach temp.  Seemed a lot longer than I expected.
  • How do you get a thicker bark.  The bark was very tasty but it would better if there was more of it.
  • I put a drip pan under the Pork Butt to catch the drippings and I noticed that there was not much at all in the drip pan.  I did trim off a lot of the access fat before cooking and wonder if that is not a good thing.

The wife has been asking for a Brisket.  So that will be my next smoke, maybe this weekend.

Here are some pictures:

TedEbear

Quote from: meo on September 07, 2012, 04:58:40 PMI have a few questions:

• Should it have taken 24 hours to reach temp.  Seemed a lot longer than I expected.
  • How do you get a thicker bark.  The bark was very tasty but it would better if there was more of it.
  • I put a drip pan under the Pork Butt to catch the drippings and I noticed that there was not much at all in the drip pan.  I did trim off a lot of the access fat before cooking and wonder if that is not a good thing.

Some butts are just more stubborn than others.  I had one that was just slightly less than 7 lbs the other day take 16.5 hours at 220*F to reach an IT of 190.

I think you did pretty much all you can on the thicker bark by using molasses as a base.  I also do the molasses trick. If you wrap it in foil during cooking it will reduce the bark but you didn't say that you did that.

The more fat you trim the less will drip.  I always trim off much of the fat because I don't like picking it out after pulling.

If you put a frog mat down on the rack the butt won't stick.   ;)

Wildcat

24 hours is not out of line. I would suggest that you smoke and cook at a cabinet temp of 200 to 220. This may cut down on how long it takes. I do not know of a way of making a thicker bark. If you do not trip the butt of enough fat, you will have bark on fat that will probably go to waste.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

muebe

As others have stated 24 hours is not out of line for a butt. And as far as bark formation from your picture looks real good!

If you cut the butt into two smaller 5lb butts you will have more surface area and more bark. and you will reduce the amount of time(maybe) that it takes to finish.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

The bark looks great on your butt  ;D  :o
Mike

Keymaster

Nice Job meo, looks great!!!

Smoker John

Looks like it turned out great
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

pokermeister

Max time for me on a 10 lb pork shoulder is 13 hours. This was done on with an IT of 190, and constant smoker temp of 225. Most of mine have been done in 11-12 hour range.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

CLAREGO

OU812

Nice butt  ;D

Next time add a couple Tbl of the rub to your apple juice and inject it.

You might have to put the rub in a spice grinder to turn it into powder first.

This wont give you more bark but it will give you more of the rub flavor

BAM1

I'd put that on my table any day.  Looks like you had a stuburn but on the "stall" time.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

devo

Nice cook.
Last week I smoked a pork loin in my new Miss Piggy Smoker at a higher temp than I can get my bradley up to. think it averaged around 260 F which seemed to give me a thicker bark. Not that much thicker but to me it was noticeable.

Swim Dad

They look great.

I am not clear if your cabinet temp was 185 or that is what you were shooting for.  I usually do 2 10lbers from SAMs at 220 and it usually takes 24-26 hours to get to 195 internal temp.  Start at noon and finish up early afternoon and FTC. Ready for dinner. 

I am not sure how some seem to get them done in 12 hours.  I suspect if you are reading the cabinet temp off the door, and the meat is down low, it is actually cooking at a lot higher temp. I set my probe 1 inch below the bottom butt.  The one above it is maybe getting cooked at 190-200. I just switch them before I go to bed or when I get up.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

beefmann

great job and the meats looks good as well